Sixty-Eight

"So I suppose we should talk." Adrian said with resignation when we were back in his penthouse and he was pouring us both a drink.

I was sitting on his black leather sofa, just trying to collect myself.

I was all warm and wet in certain places, and feeling more vulnerable than I would like to. Contrariwise, I was too worn out now to fight against this.

"Talk about what, exactly?" I asked cautiously, accepting the drink from him.

He sat down beside me, knocking back his drink before looking me directly in the eyes. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

###

My breath caught in my throat.

Was he asking me for real, or was he just curious to know?

My lips parted. I wanted to speak, but I just couldn't.

He started to smile rather helplessly as he studied my eyes. "Because I'd like you to be, Eve Mathers. I'm asking you to be."

###

There were a lot of things that went through my mind right then.

What finally came out of my mouth, though, was, "Are you sure?"

A smile flickered across his face. "I am. If you still want me after I was such a jackass to you."

"You're always a jackass to me." I couldn't help but point out.

His smile widened. "You're not always peaches and sunshine yourself. So? What do you say? Do you still want to give it a go with me?"

###

"Would-would we be exclusive?" I said the words haltingly.

It physically hurt me to say it, because the thought that he wouldn't want to be exclusive with me was unbearable. But I pushed the words out anyway because I needed to know before I indulged this fantasy a second longer.

Adrian's smile arced over gracefully into a frown. "I would imagine so, yes. I know you, Eve. You don't strike me as woman who likes to share."

My insides uncoiled a bit at hearing this.

"And what about the job?" I pressed on doggedly.

Now was no time to break down into girlish excitement; now was the time to negotiate.

His eyebrows twitched again. "What do you mean?"

"Well..."

What did I mean?

"Does this mean you're terminating my position?"

His face softened, and it was his lips' turn to twitch. "I still need a PA, Eve. If you still want the job, it's yours." He calmly sipped his drink as he watched me, his ankle resting upon his knee.

Always such a perfectly controlled figure he was; so wound up, so high maintenance.

Could I really handle dating Adrian Kingsley?

Then again, I already was handling him! For the most part.

"But isn't that-?" My practical side was still putting up a protest. "So would I be your mistress then?"

How quickly his frown returned. "Why do labels matter so much to you? You are my woman; the one I take to dinner and then to bed. The one I trust. The only one. Isn't that enough?"

For now.

The wickedly honest words echoed through my head.

"Well, I-I-"

"Oh, just say yes, woman!"

I couldn't help my smile, it just wasn't often that my iceberg of a boss lost his cool like that.

"Alright then." I said cheerfully. "If you insist."

Here his victory grin bloomed to match mine.

Sliding his hand around the back of my head, he pulled me to him for a bruising kiss of ownership.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thanks so much for reading! Please don't forget to Vote and Comment any and all thoughts on the story so far! I always love hearing from my reader Minions!

Are we happy for Eve or think she's making the worst decision ever?

HRH