Forty-Five

This is kind of a longer chapter, but it's important so I hope everyone has fun reading it!

Cheers!

HRH

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This was a big day for me.

Not only had Adrian called me 'love' for the first time, but he kept his arm around me all the way to the elevator, for everyone to see.

I couldn't be entirely sure, but I think we might've entered a new phase of our relationship.

But then we got into the elevator and his arm dropped from around me as he chatted to a businessman who was sharing the elevator with us. Adrian didn't bother to introduce me or Mike; we were both just his servants, after all.

Excuse me, did I say servants? I meant employees, of course.

By the time we were in the car, I was sulking again. Adrian was going over his emails and I played a game on my phone to keep busy.

Adrian finally locked his iPad with a sigh and looked over at me. He noticed my sulking right away with that hawkish vision of his. "Have you decided about this weekend?"

I looked up at him quickly. "Uhm..." like I was going to miss it! "I thought we had already confirmed that I was. Coming. With you. That is." I couldn't help that I fumbled with my words and that my cheeks turned flame red.

Adrian cocked his head and smiled faintly. "Had we?"

"If Ty doesn't mind, that is." I added.

Poor kid, I could only imagine how awkward it would be for him. I didn't want to give him the wrong impression about me and his dad.

Not that that ship hadn't already sailed, to be realistic.

"Are you kidding me? He's counting on it. He only asks if you're really joining us every night when I talk to him."

I stared at Adrian for a minute, genuinely floored. "He does? You talk to him every night?"

Adrian slanted me a look I was more familiar with than that tender one he'd been giving me a moment ago. "Yes, I talk to my son every night before he goes to bed. Is that so surprising?"

I turned my head away, unable to even speak.

I couldn't explain what it was, or how it made me feel, all I knew was that I was overwhelmed by every bit of it.

###

It had been a long day. I was tired and in a daze when we finally sat down at the dinner table. Mike went to sit at the bar and order his drink and dinner there; where he could still keep an eye on me while "hanging back a bit" as Adrian had instructed.

The appetizers had only just arrived when a giant bear of a man appeared beside the table, making me jump.

I looked up at the imposing individual and there were no two ways about it; he was scary.

His hair was shaved close and he had jagged scars and pockmarks littering his face. His eyes were small and dark, and his lips big and thick. He wore all black and he had gloves on, I noticed.