Pt. 2 Seventeen

Blast! Was all I could think.

I hadn't meant to tell him this way. I hadn't meant to tell him at all, but it was a little late for take-backsies.

Adrian was sprawled on top of me, still inside me, recovering. I could feel him, still releasing himself into me.

It was the sexiest thing ever. I already wanted more.

Finally he caught his breath, and pried our sweat-sticky skin apart. He braced himself up above me, gazing down speculatively into my face.

"So you think you love me, huh?"

I flushed. "I-I'm sorry, I was just...just babbling. Sex babble, you know? I-I didn't mean-"

Naked and still erect, Adrian grasped my jaw and frowned down at me. "Don't lie."

I swallowed. "I swear, I'm not, like, in love with you, or anything. But yeah, I love you, Adrian."

Even though you're a cruel bastard for taking advantage of my weakened state to extract information from me.

All my tender secrets.

Adrian snorted, not seeming impressed or convinced. "Eve, honey, you've been in love with me for a while now. I think you're the only one who didn't notice."

Still holding my face, he silenced my would-be protests by leaning down and kissing me firmly on the mouth.

"I love you, too." He told me without preamble.

My poor heart fluttered violently. Was he serious?!

"I'm absolutely smitten with you, Eve, can't you tell?" With this, he began releasing me from the chair.

I sagged bonelessly forward and he caught me in his arms. I snuggled into him as he carried me across the room to the sofa.

But all the while, I couldn't help but notice that he hadn't told me that he was in love with me. No, he'd used the word 'smitten'.

I was an adult, not to mention a writer. I could read between the lines of what he wasn't saying.

He loved me, sure; the way you love a friend, a lover...a pet. But he didn't feel the way I felt about him, that much was clear.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

HRH