Pt. 2 Twenty-Nine

Everyone at the party seemed very posh and sophisticated, all of them dressed in a way that screamed Expensive.

I felt instantly out of place. Everyone here ran companies or would inherit billion dollar companies. This was Adrian Kingsley's world, not mine.

I was gripped with the horrible feeling that everyone who saw me would know. Not just that I wasn't in the same tax bracket as them, but that I was nothing more than Adrian's assistant.

A bad one at that.

Being here also keenly reminded me of the vast amount of money I was going to cost Adrian if we didn't meet my over generous estimate of two-freakin'-million dollars. All because of my stupid typo.

Worse still, I was incredibly sore all over from the stern punishing I'd been enduring all week.

I felt self-conscious about that, too, though there was no way for anyone but us to possibly know. Maybe it was my lack of underwear that was making me feel ultra exposed.

People started greeting Adrian as soon as we made it past the fellow taking invitations. Of course, Adrian was waved – practically bowed – right through without having to show so much as his teeth.

He introduced me to everyone as Eve; I was his date tonight, nothing more, nothing less.

I snagged a champagne flute as soon as he did and I felt worlds better after drinking nearly the entire thing in one go.

I felt his eyes on me, measuring me, and I blushed. I'm sure I wasn't meant to chug that like some kind of hooligan.

Tonight, I was expected to be a perfect lady. As poised and docile as all the other ladies in the room.

So I plastered a fake smile on my face and committed myself to not only behaving, but also to following all of Adrian's physical cues flawlessly to the letter.

I knew that would please my control-freak lover boss.

Funny, I still struggled to think of him as my boyfriend. But that was what he was, wasn't he?

My boyfriend.

Gulp, gulp, gulp, and just like that, I needed more champagne.

Luckily champagne was not a hard thing to come by at a shindig like this.

The music that was playing was performed by a live band, all classical pieces, of course, so as not to compete with the flow of conversation.

There was even a full-fledged dance floor in the center of one of the grand hotel's ballrooms.

Adrian took my hand at one point and when I looked up at him, he jerked his head towards the dance floor. "Dance with me." He commanded.

I blanched, looking out at the intimidating dance floor. Only a few older couples were making use of it, and they all looked like professional ballroom dancers.

"But!" I stuttered. "I can't dance!" I confessed this in a whisper, looking around to make sure no one was eavesdropping.

Adrian gave me his kindest smile. "It's okay, I'll lead you."

He gave my hand an insistent tug and I had no choice but to relent. It would be just childish to start a game of tug-of-war with my arm, and if I made a scene I know Adrian would never forgive me.

So I let him lead me out onto the dance floor. We had to abandon our champagne, and I was glad I'd already drank so much, it helped me feel less terrified.

Adrian took us out to the very center of the dance floor before turning to face me with a polite if slightly mocking smile. I knew my boss pretty well by now and I knew he was enjoying my pure terror.

He swept me a little bow, also quite mockingly, before holding his arms out to me.

I glared up at him, tentatively putting my hand in his. He drew me closer and my other hand found its way to his shoulder.

"Yes, just like this." He pulled me snugly up against him.

We were closer than we should be for this dance, I thought, even though I didn't really know what we were doing.

The song that was playing was at least a slow one.

A waltz. How hard could it be to waltz?

I had a sudden flashback to my senior prom. I'd wanted to waltz with my prom date, Tyler, that idiot. He'd stepped on my feet so many times I'd soon given up on the whole idea.

"It's just a three-step." Adrian told me. "So when we start moving, just count. It's not hard."

He tightened his grip on my hand, pushing me backwards with his body.

I nearly squeaked with nerves, but I bit my lip hard and concentrated.

Three steps back, three steps forward, three to the side.

I was doing it! I was motherfucking waltzing!

I looked up at Adrian, grinning now.

He grinned back at me. "Having fun?"

"You're a good dancer." I lowered my eyes shyly.

"Don't look at your feet." He directed. "Look at me."

I jerked my gaze back up to his face. "Sorry." I muttered.

"It's alright, you're doing great. You haven't stepped on my toes yet." He pointed out.

"Well, it's not hard when you have a good partner. It's not like I could do the lambada tomorrow."

He chuckled. "No, we would have to practice first."

I shot him a dirty look. "My mom always told me never to trust a man who could dance."

"Oh?" He laughed, unconcerned. "Can her husband dance?"

"Rob?" I snorted. "Not likely. My dad could, though..." I trailed off at the sudden memory burst of my dad dancing around the living room with me on his feet. I'd liked it even better when he had danced with my mom, though. I would sit happily and watch them while he danced with her all around the kitchen and living room.

They had seemed so happy back then.

I bit my lip again, mentally warding off the bittersweet memories.

Adrian drew me closer into the warm shelter of his arms, as if sensing my dip in emotions.

"She just misses having a good dance partner then." He murmured into my ear.

I smiled sadly, resting my chin on his shoulder. We were just swaying now as he held me, I realized, but it didn't matter. This was the best.

I wanted to stay here all night and not move.

"How did you learn to dance?" I asked him, because I wasn't ready for the moment to be over.

"Oh, I started as soon as I began the rest of my classical education." He sighed wearily. "So about six was when I learned how to play the piano, how to play chess, how to dance and ride horses. My grandfather insisted."

"On your dad's side?"

"Mmhmm." Adrian drew back and I could tell by his face that the subject was now closed. "Come on," he said, squeezing my hand again, "we should go hobnob some more."

I made a face at this and he laughed.

*~*~*~*~*~* *~*~*~*

I know, I know, there was that fundraiser scene in "50 Shades of Grey" but I swear I wrote this before ever reading the books or seeing the movies! Lol

Thanks for reading!

HRH