Sixteen

Adrian came to my side and took my arm to steer me along. I suppose because I'd been just standing there staring at the jet like a dummy.

"I didn't mention my meeting was in Tokyo?" He said dryly.

"Tokyo?!" My head spun.

The steps leading up into the belly of the plane were like a white satin ribbon; an albino tongue waiting to devour us up into the aircraft.

"But...I-I don't exactly just carry my passport around with me!" I spluttered.

"It doesn't matter. You've already been scanned into the system and we can access your passport from the plane's computer. It's already been taken care of, as long as you have some form of valid ID on you?"

"Of course!" I shot him a look, but then he was practically pushing me up the stairs and into the intimidating aircraft.

###

Inside the chic, buttery interior I soon got nestled into a large seat and was even able to recline back and put my feet up.

I sat nervously on the edge of my seat instead, until takeoff, staring out the window. "I've never been to out of the country really. I only have my passport because I went to Canada to see my grandparents once. And I-" But I cut myself off, remembering his no-personal info rule. "Sorry." I muttered, and made the zipping-my-mouth closed gesture.

Adrian sighed, settling back in his chair.

A moment later, a brunette stewardess came by with a cup of tea for him and a copy of the day's paper.

I instantly slapped my hand to my forehead. "Oh my God, I totally forgot to get it for you, didn't I?!"

The stewardess gave me a look of disgust and sauntered off in her overly tight blue skirt.

Of course, as tight as it was, there wasn't much to see. I notice Adrian didn't tell her to put on something else.

He flipped open the newspaper and set his ankle on the top of his knee. "No," he said calmly, "you did not."

"I'm so sorry." I groaned. "Why didn't you say anything?!"

He lifted his eyes from the page to my face, it was brief look, but I felt it like a knife to my heart. "It's of little consequence. Try to remember next time."

I lowered my gaze to my lap, feeling miserable inside. I was a shitty PA.

###

Since phones couldn't be active on the plane, I was allowed to doze. It was an extremely long flight, after all.

We finally landed some 16 hours later after having to stop once in Australia to refuel.

I only vaguely remember disembarking in the Tokyo airport, which I cannot pronounce to save my life. A car was waiting to pick us up, another simple but elegant black town car with what felt like an Asian version of Bernard ready to whisk us off through the crowded city of Tokyo.

I could barely believe my eyes at what I was seeing; this unfamiliar world teaming with people and signs, so many signs, all printed in a language I didn't understand. It felt like I must be dreaming.

The novelty of it all wore off once we had reached our destination, however. The meeting was just as dry and boring as the one back home had been, except these board members were all Asian.