Seventy

Adrian slid his hands along my body as he got behind me. His breath softly kissing my ear was too much for me.

I had to bite my tongue hard to keep from moaning in frustration.

I wanted him so bad.

But we were standing under the industrial lighting of his underground shooting range, fully dressed.

"Don't lock your elbows, keep them loose. Be ready for some kickback." He was in full teacher mode now. He'd already gone over all the boring safety bullshit and practically made me take the whole gun apart before he'd even let me fire it.

"Remember, raise the weapon to your eye, not your eye to the weapon."

I resisted rolling my eyes behind my dorky safety goggles.

Adrian gently popped the earmuffs over my head then settled his hands on my shoulders. He squeezed.

"You ready?"

I looked over my shoulder at him. "Where are your earmuffs?"

He grinned at me and inserted earplugs. He looked considerably less dorky than I did, but still a little dorky, and this made me happy.

I turned back to look at the paper target; sketchy dude #1, 30 meters away.

I closed one eye, squinting with the other.

Then I pulled the trigger.

It felt good, I can't lie.

Powerful, loud, a little scary, but good. I opened both eyes and looked at the target.

My face fell. "Fuck. That totally failed."

"You hit the edge of the paper." He pointed out, supportively squeezing my shoulders again. "Don't hold your breath. Take a deep breath, then as you exhale, squeeze the trigger."

I sighed. "Okay, okay."

"Pick your target carefully. Since you're just beginning, don't try to go for the head. Aim for the torso or the thigh."

"How 'bout the groin?" I suggested cheekily.

"Don't be perverse. Focus on an achievable target on the body. You want to stop and drop your potential assailant."

Assailant? Jesus, this was so much more than I had originally signed up for. All just part of the package now.

The fact of the matter was I had signed up. My boss just wanted to protect me, and I just wanted to please him.

So I obediently squeezed the trigger again. It was a single fire weapon, rather than producing a spray of bullets like in the movies.

I emptied the entire clip, all 16 bullets before I really started getting the hang of it. Lucky me, he'd bought me plenty more ammo.

My arms were ringing by the time I was done with the first clip.

I sighed as I turned around to face Adrian. I put down the gun, which felt hot to the touch, and I slid off the earmuffs.

"Well, you hit the target." He said.

I snorted. "You know, all these things I'm supposed to remember are gonna fly right out the window if I was in a real...situation."

He put his hands on my shoulders again, he seemed to like doing that lately. "That's why practice is important. Until it becomes a natural instinct."

"And how often do you expect me to practice?" I demanded.