Twenty-Three

*Image of Bonehead*

Happy Summer Reading!

HRH

*~*~*~*~*~*

I sighed as I slowly swiveled around in the chair, gazing out the glass wall of windows at the shiny silver city of Chicago.

It was a wistful blue day and I bet my niece and nephew were making the most of their trampoline in the backyard, or maybe playing hopscotch in the driveway, while my sister had no doubt already fired up the grill, one eye always on her children.

I sighed as I smoothed my hand down my ponytail. Just then a text came in from Lyndsey.

'Hey stranger. Can we have u 4 dinner?'

I grinned. 'I would love that! Whatcha makin?' I glanced down the long conference table to where Adrian was just saying goodbye to all the businessmen from Italy.

'But I have 2 ask Adrian 4 the night off 1st. Hang on lemme check.' I hastily sent her another text while I swiveled around one more time.

I jumped to find Adrian standing in front of me, gazing down at me like he thought I was immature or something.

"You done?" I said to him, cracking my neck. It had been a long day of back-to-back meetings, each one more boring than the last.

And I had a fun new job; taking notes on his iPad during the meetings, so I wasn't even able to tune out, though sometimes I sneakily played games during particularly boring portions of the meetings.

I wasn't convinced that Adrian even needed the notes for anything or would ever read them; it was just a tactic to keep me busy and from fidgeting with boredom during his stupid meetings.

Adrian cocked his head and it wasn't exactly a warm expression, but he sort of smirked at me. "Yes, I do believe we are done for the day."

"Great." I stretched my back before grabbing my bag and standing up. My feet were aching in my four-inch black heels. But I had no choice but to wear heels with these long, black, pinstripe pants of mine, which correspondingly complemented the new cream colored blouse he had given me. There had been no way I wasn't going to wear it; it was without a doubt the nicest garment that I owned. And it felt freakin' great against my skin.

"Can I have the rest of the night off then?" I asked my boss, handing him his iPad.

He took it from me and regarded me with his signature closed-off expression. "I suppose. But I expect you at my side in the penthouse lobby at 8am tomorrow."

I gulped and nodded. I couldn't help the little flip my tummy did when he said that he wanted me at his side; like he needed me or something.

Of course, I was just being silly and fanciful again. Adrian Kingsley didn't need anybody.

###

We rode in silence back to the penthouse so that I could get my car.

My new car!

I was practically bouncing in my seat in my excitement to show Lyndsey.

Adrian kept casting me rather impatient glances as he messaged someone on his iPhone, as if my happiness annoyed him.