Twenty

The car was beautiful. I slowly went around it to admire it and take pictures with my phone.

Then I got in to admire and caress the leather interior. Real leather, mind you, black and tan. I breathed deep as I smoothed my hands over the steering wheel.

The dashboard lit up like a spaceship when I turned the car on. It was an automatic, I noticed right away. I preferred automatic, to be sure, but I wondered if Adrian just didn't trust me with a manual.

I placed a call to the restaurant while I browsed the menu on Adrian's phone. I got myself a platter of popcorn shrimp with rice and veggie pilaf. Sounded like just what I needed right then, something light but also nourishing.

"Is this an order for Mr. Kingsley?" The man on the phone asked me abruptly.

I started a bit, fiddling with the dials of my new car as I tried to tune the complicated stereo system. I'd never had SiriusXM before.

"Yes, how did you-?"

"Because every week we get an order like this for Mr. Kingsley. You must be the new PA."

"Uh-huh." I sighed.

"Alright, well, we don't usually do to-go items, but for Mr. Kingsley we make an exception. It'll be ready for pickup when you arrive."

I rolled my eyes. "Thank you." I said. Then I put my scary, fancy new car in drive and slowly eased out of the parking space.

There wasn't any code needed to leave, that was a little surprising; being here felt oddly like being in prison.

###

I desperately wanted to drive to my sister's house and show Lyndsey my new car and tell her all about my impromptu trip to Tokyo. But I knew that would take much too long. I sighed heavily, tapping my fingers against the steering wheel of my new car as I drove through town.

I wondered when I might get a day off.

###

I drove carefully across town to the restaurant, which was in the industrial district, though the nicer area. I hoped Adrian would never send me somewhere sketchy by myself.

The car handled beautifully. I found myself speeding easily and had to keep slowing myself down. Adrian would probably kill me if I ran anyone over in his car.

I suppose it was my car, but it felt like his. Should I trade it in for something I myself picked out?

I'd browse some options before deciding. I kinda liked this car, after all.

###

I drove back as fast as I dared without risking being pulled over, scared to death his food might get cold before I could get it back to him.

To my mild surprise, he was waiting in the foyer, sitting in a chair by the big bank of windows, a glass of scotch on the table at his elbow, an open book in his lap.

He looked over his shoulder at me with an arched eyebrow. "There you are. Heavy traffic?"

I flushed, hastening over to him to clumsily fish out his to-go box from the bag.

He snapped his book closed without even marking the page, swilled back the rest of his scotch, then leaned forward to help me since I was obviously struggling.

"I trust you found the vehicle to your liking?" He asked me.

I flushed all the more powerfully when his fingers brushed against mine as he took his cardboard to-go box from me.

"It's amazing! But I have to try hard not to speed."

He merely grunted in response as he opened the lid of his box to critically inspect the contents. "I see you failed to get them to hold the garnish." He said with a disdainful sniff and to my great surprise, he flicked the sprig of parsley onto the black marble floor, soon to be followed by the lemon wedges.

"Alright." I said, mildly impressed with his militant attitude. "Noted. No garnish for you." I stretched my back discretely as I stepped back with my own to-go box.

He rose, as well.

I was preparing to go to my own quarters to eat my dinner in peace, when something in the slump of his shoulders drew me back, to stare at him as he walked away down the hall to his part of the penthouse.

"Thanks again for the car." I said impulsively. "I'll pay you back for it, of course."

He turned back to me more eagerly than I'd expected him to and I had to bite back a smile.

Dare I believe that Adrian Kingsley was just a little bit lonely?

"No need." He said stiffly. "It's yours. Even if this job gets terminated for you, for whatever reason." He added with a careless shrug. "You can keep it."

"Oh. Oh! I almost forgot, your card!"

"Keep it." He insisted, as I started fishing into my purse for the coveted black credit card. "You'll need to do more shopping for me so you might as well have money to spend. I don't expect you to spend your own money on me, Eve."

"Oh. Well, I appreciate that." I said awkwardly, then took a chance. "Do you-would you maybe like to eat dinner, together? It's okay if not, it's just...I figured-"

He studied me with an unreadable expression as I blushed and floundered for words.

"Sure." He said, surprising me. "But don't get used to it becoming a custom." He added with a return to his usual despotic self.

I sighed, following him down the corridor into his lair and wondering if I'd regret trying to be kind to him.

*~*~*~*~*

What ya think? Will she regret her "act of kindness" towards him?

Happy #SummerReading, my dearies!

HRH