Grounded

An old man was sitting on a rocking chair just outside of his house, feeling the wind wash over him. He glanced above, seeing the contrails of several fighters jets flying in the sky and remembering his moments when he was still able to fly his jet. The said man was Mihaly A. Shilage, a former RAF pilot. He was known for his flying skills, and brought fear and admiration as much as the Ribbon Fighter did.

He looked back at the book on his lap and flipped a page with the title 'Three Strikes'. On the first page, there was an illustration of three 'Sin Lines', while below it were several paragraphs containing information about the said illustration.

"Grandpa!" A little girl wearing a blue dress shouted, running up to him. Not too far away from her was a taller girl also wearing a blue dress, walking in a normal pace, carrying a brown paper bag. The two were Mihaly's granddaughters, Alma A. Shilage and Ionela A. Shilage.

"Hello, sweetheart." Mihaly greeted as he patted her head. "How's school?"

"It's great!" Alma replied cheerfully. "I learned lots of stuff!"

Mihaly gave a small laugh. "That's good."

"I bought your meds, Grandpa." Ionela cut in, giving him a small kiss on the forehead.

"Thank you." He said, patting her hands.

"You're reading that again?" Ionela added.

He chuckled. "I'm already old, Ionela. Let me do this before I disappear from this world."

"Are you gonna die, Grandpa?" Alma asked, tears starting to swell from the corner of her eyes.

"Grandpa is not going to die." Ionela reassured her little sister. "We're gonna have a talk for a bit, okay?"

"Okay..." Alma nodded and went inside the house.

"The doctor said that your condition is getting worse." Ionela said, lowering her head.

Mihaly went silent for a moment before he spoke again. "It's okay. I already accepted my fate. I never wanted to create anything and now, here I am, clinging to life. Watching as my grandchildren and their generation make a new future for themselves and the world. All I do is stay here, wasting away. I'll never know the feeling of flying the open skies ever again. I've been grounded, and my wings have been clipped."

"..." She stayed silent, watching her grandfather flip another page of the book.

"I want you to find the man who bear the three Sin Lines. That's my last wish before I die."

---

Azur Lane Base
Hangar
June 18, 2019
0930 Hours

"Commander!" Monarch ran to (Y/n) who just got off from the cockpit.

The pilot turned around. "Hey."

"Are you alright?" Monarch asked in concern.

"I'm fine, as you can see." He replied. "Sorry I have to leave so suddenly. I couldn't just leave Enterprise going in her current condition."

"I understand." She said. Though, there was a hint of jealousy in her voice which didn't go unnoticed by him but decided not to say anything.

"Yo, Commander!" Hornet said, approaching the two with her hands on her pockets. "Thanks for the save back there. It's an honor to meet the Ribbon Fighter himself."

(Y/n) nodded. "No problem. How's the rest of the fleet?"

"They're at the infirmary right now. Most of us suffered injuries but we're fine now." Hornet quipped.