Glacial Skies

He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire.

-Psalm 46:9

---

Does the color of the sky mean anything special to you? It does to me. A hell of a lot. When I close my eyes, the sky in my dreams... is a deep, dark blue.

It was the year 2005. I was still 7 at the time. The year where those damn Sirens appeared and started invading, pushing back the humanity out of the oceans.

You know why the Sirens didn't managed to reach inland? It's because of the railguns they called 'Stonehenge'. Their original purpose was to shoot down the incoming asteroid fragments, but what kills asteroids now kills assholes.

Pilots've been in my family for four generations. Flying's in my DNA. Even so, my Grandpa didn't want me to join the Air Force. He lost faith of the USAF the day Katherine, my older sister, died in the battle in order to liberate Hawaii.

I still remember the name of that mission; Operation Angel Wings. It was a successful mission, though not without many sacrifices, and my sister was among them.

It nearly broke me when the news reached me. Katherine was a good sister of mine, and I loved her so much. She and Gramps were the only ones I've got left. My mother died when she gave birth to me, and my father died due to cancer before I even came into this world.

"Y'know, (Y/n)..." A voice called out to me. I paused the flight game I was playing on my PS2 and looked at where the voice came from, which belongs to my Grandpa. He was also a former USAF pilot. I always like listening to his stories about flying in the air. "I wish you could see what it's like up there. Cruising above the clouds. The dark blue of the stratosphere. Nothing beats being at the controls while seeing it from the cockpit. Look here..."

Gramps tossed a magazine over to me with an article. I picked it up. "Unmanned fighters are no longer a dream", it read. "Pilots taking to the skies will be a distant memory".

I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "Bullshit. I don't see anything good coming from that."

I scoffed and handed the magazine to Gramps. I decided to go out to take some fresh air, and that's when I saw it.

A prototype drone, flying above in a moderate speed.

It wasn't much of a plane, more like a trash can with wings.

"Laugh at it all you want, kid." Gramps said to me, approaching me with a look of sadness on his face. "But technology's always changing. If you don't keep up with it, it'll leave your ass behind."

"I know that, Gramps. No need to remind me of that." I replied.

I glanced at the drone fly away over to the horizon, its figure slowly getting smaller over time.

---

Northern Parliament Base
700 Miles North of Russia
1033 Hours

The cold winds of the north continued to blow ferociously, causing the snow to be blown roughly to the ground or towards the sea.

On the hallways of the Northern Parliament base, a white-haired woman was walking in a moderate pace, the heels of her footwear clicking against the hard floor.

The said woman wore a rather large white coat with thick white fur on each shoulder, a white uniform that had gold buttons and gold trimmings which emphasized her curves, a black outfit paired with black leggings underdeath, a black belt with gold strips with a silver star, and a cylinder-like hat. It was Sovetskaya Rossiya, a Sovetsky Soyuz-class battleship and the leader of Northern Parliament.