Daredevil

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

-General George S. Patton

---

I finally graduated. I finally became a pilot for the USAF. I hope my sister is proud of me.

I still remember the times where she and my grandfather would play in the park and have picnics together when I was a kid. I still remember her unwavering smile, filled with courage and hope.

My sister was buried at the Arlington National Cementery in Washington, where the names of the dead are inscribed in gravestones.

We try to honor their deeds, even as their faces fade from our memory. Those memories are all that's left, when the bastards have taken everything else.

I took a deep breath as I twisted the doorknob and entered my sister's room. The sunlight pierced the window, giving a warm atmosphere in her room.

I walked towards her bed and sat down. I glanced at her photo at the picture frame on the nearby table. That's when I noticed that one of the drawers is slightly open. Did Grandpa forgot to close it somehow?

I stood up and was about to push it back, when I caught a glimpse of an envelope. I prefered not to open it, but curiosity got the better of me. I grabbed the enveloped and took out the paper that was inside.

To my surprise, the letter was for me.

Without wasting a second, I opened the piece of paper and read the contents. It read;

{Dear (Y/n),

This may be the last day of my life, so I wrote this letter for you.

If you see this letter, then I may have already died. I know that I hadn't spend more time with you because of my job as a pilot. I'm sorry. I hope you're not angry at me.

You and Grandpa were the only ones left, and you know that I love you both so much. My time here has been marked by both challenges and triumphs, and I will cherish the memories we've made.

Oh, and if you ever fall for a woman, make sure she's got balls!

Please, (Y/n), take care of Grandpa. I hope you stay strong, even if I'm gone. Love ya!

Love,
Katherine}

I smiled as I returned the paper back to the envelope and looked at the sky, watching the clouds fly slowly in the blue sky.

---

The Next Day...

Arlington National Cementery
Arlington, Virginia
August 12, 2019
0900 Hours

Today was the day. The sky was cloudy, and the mood was somber in the Arlington National Cementery. Many military officers and civilians alike were putting their flowers at the gravestone of Katherine (L/n), the now deceased sister of the Ribbon Fighter.

The gravestone itself was simple, and had few straightforward words marked in it.

KATHERINE "NIGHTFALL" (L/N)
1980-2005
A valiant warrior, a hero, a friend, and a sister.
May your memories live forever.

Many of the civilian participants of the death anniversary already left, though many were still coming to pay their respects and honor her deeds.

Strider Squadron and Golem Squadron were nearby, wearing their service dress. They had already put their flowers to honor the fallen warrior.