Shattered Skies (Rewritten Chapter)

"The name 'Grim Reaper' fit him perfectly. The way he flies is so mesmerizing. It was like... I was watching an angel." The girl ran her hand along the structure of her rifle, giving a chuckle seconds later. "Maybe that man was blessed by the Goddess of War. He was born to fight. He just tore anything that stands in his way. That said, it was hell trying to keep up with him."

"What was he like?" The reporter asked.

The girl smiled. "He was cool-headed. A combat professional. Before long, everyone had taken notice of him. More and more would show off to watch him go off on sortie. Pilots or maintenance crew, it didn't matter. People wanted to burn his image to their memories."

"Hell, they weren't the only ones."

---

Azur Lane Base
Commander's Quarters
June 23, 2019
0633 Hours

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

The alarm shook (Y/n) awake as he sat up and yawned, stretching his arms wide open.

"Ah~" A moan was suddenly heard when his right hand landed on something soft. He looked over to where the sound came from, only to see New Jersey laying beside him, his hand groping her left breast. The said battleship smirked seductively. "Good morning, honey~"

"Ah!" (Y/n) immediately pulled his hand away, falling to the floor in the process. He groaned in pain and stood up, rubbing his head. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Nothing much. You just look so cute when sleeping, so I decided to join you." New Jersey said, sitting up.

He sighed. "I don't have time for jokes, New Jersey. I know you have another reason for coming here. Just tell me."

New Jersey's expression became serious. "AWACS Bandog reported a massive Sakura Empire fleet heading directly at us. They're charging at us head on. Looks like they're trying to repeat battle of Midway again."

"Any Ironblood supports?"

"Negative."

"Call everyone. We need to move."

New Jersey nodded and went off. Even if there were no Ironblood ships to support the opposing fleet, it would still be troublesome as they could control mass-produced Sirens.

He went onto the usual morning routine - taking a cold bath and changing to his flight suit. After some preparations, he went to the briefing room. As he went inside, the attending shipgirls stood in attention.

"At ease." He said, walking to the front table. He turned on the projector that soon showed a satellite image of the enemy fleet sailing in Area A6B. "According to New Jersey, AWACS Bandog reported a massive fleet consisting of Sakura Empire ships, and no Ironblood support. However, that dosen't mean that we should let out guard down. They're challenging us on a head on battle."

"They're really persistent, aren't they?" Hornet piped up.

"Well, considering that you managed to retrieve the black cube from their grasp, Akagi must be flustered." New Jersey added.

"Exactly." (Y/n) agreed. "We need to be careful in this mission, because they don't need the cube to control the Siren ships, based on what Akashi had told us."

As expected, their faces turned into worry and grim, and were murmurings among the shipgirls. They were relieved that the Ribbon Fighter was on their side, but they knew that the Sakura Empire had the upper hand in terms of numbers.

Monarch raised her hand. "So, what's your plan, Commander?"

(Y/n) nodded, switching the display on the screen. "Enterprise will be the flagship. New Jersey and Wales will be on her side, while Monarch will be on her front. Battleships and carriers will be in the inner circle, surrounding Enterprise's ship. San Diego and Helena will be tasked in anti-air engagements along with the cruisers that will come along with the strike group. Destroyers will on the outer perimeter, given that they can engage more quickly. As for the airspace, carriers will engage the enemy aircraft. I'll take care of the Siren jets. That's all. We'll be leaving in two hours. Dismissed."