Fortunate Son

"Learn to accept it, kid. This is war. There's no mercy in war - it's a collision of powers."

-Larry "Solo Wing Pixy" Foulke (Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War)

---

The Next Day...

Azur Lane Base
Azur Lane Academy - Classroom A
August 18, 2019
0700 Hours

As (Y/n) entered the classroom, the shipgirls who attended the class quickly stood up and saluted and said good morning to him.

"Good morning to you girls, as well." (Y/n) greeted back. "Take your seats."

The shipgirls dropped their salute and sat down as told. (Y/n) picked up a chalk and began on drawing the top view, back view, and side view of both the F-14 and F/A-18 - both being two-seater fighters - with relative ease, while the shipgirls tried their best to resemble his drawing as close as possible.

'Guess I'm a teacher now...' (Y/n) amusingly thought. He placed down the chalk and faced the class. "Alright, before we start, any questions?"

Akagi raised her hand, clearly excited. "Um, do we get to ride with you after this?"

"No. Not yet." (Y/n) answered.

"Aww..." Akagi's ears flopped down.

(Y/n) cleared his throat. "Anyways, let's begin, shall we?"

And so, the class began. (Y/n) teached them the basic terms, how the modern radars worked, jet weapons - missiles and guns alike, maneuvers, equipment, tactics, and how to act as as a proper WSO.

To say the least, the shipgirls were having a hard time to comprehend the information that (Y/n) was giving them, and would ask questions every single time. (Y/n) would answer them without missing a beat and gave appropriate responses.

"Alright, any questions?" (Y/n) asked the class.

San Diego raised her hand. "Um, I didn't get the missile part, Commander. Could you explain it again?"

(Y/n) lets out a small sigh. "Active homing uses a radar system on the missile to provide a guidance signal. Typically, electronics in the missile keep the radar pointed directly at the target, and the missile then looks at this 'angle' of its own centerline to guide itself. Heat seeking missiles, meanwhile, traks their target via the heat signatures of the aircraft as you already have guessed. In short terms, the missile knows where it is."

"How about dogfighting?" Enterprise cut in.

(Y/n) looked at her. "Didn't I mentioned it before?"

"Um... no. You didn't." The carrier replied.

"Oh, okay. We usually stay away from dogfights as much as possible, but now, dogfights are inevitable." (Y/n) explained. "In my time at the 'Top Gun' program, we would occasionally train more on dogfighting and less on BVR engagements to enhance our capabilities when it comes to that."

"What's 'BVR'?" Long Island inquired.

"BVR means 'Beyond Visual Range'." He responded. "That's what we've discussed earlier. During BVR engagements, we use AIM-120 AMRAAMs for that scenarios and say the codeword 'Fox 3' twice or thrice."

"What does 'AMRAAM' mean?" Long Island continued.

"AMRAAM means 'Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile." (Y/n) elaborated.

"Kommandant." Eugen called out. "You mentioned earlier that there are three code words when firing a missile, right? Is there a fourth or fifth code word?"