Defensive

"There is no war that will end all wars."

-Haruki Murakami

---

Azur Lane Base
Medical Bay
1155 Hours

(Y/n) nodded. "You said earlier that you came from another timeline, right? Can you tell me what happened in that timeline and how did you end up here?"

Monica's smile was quickly replaced with a frown and went completely silent after (Y/n)'s question, causing both him and Monarch to become concerned about her. She may or may not be lying about her coming from another timeline and being (Y/n) and Monarch's daughter, but it is totally plausible.

If she did came from another timeline, then it only means that the timeline she was previously at was the one where the Sirens managed to defeat the entire human race and destroyed Earth.

"..." Monica did not utter a single word.

"Monica, tell me how did you end up here." (Y/n) repeated, a bit more harsh this time.

"I..." Monica trailed off, unsure of what to answer. "I... I don't know..."

"...What do you mean?" This time, it was Monarch who asked a question.

Monarch also had the same suspicions as the Ribbon Fighter. If that suspicion would turn out to be true, then Monica's appearance is a sign that something big is coming. Something... dangerous.

"What happened in your timeline?" (Y/n) presses on. "Did the Sirens defeat us?"

"...Yes." Monica answered, anger and regret evident in her tone. "Everyone died. You, mom, auntie Enterprise, auntie Iowa... everyone died! Those damn Sirens killed you all! Everyone! I only lived because I was a fucking coward who hid behind everyone's backs! I saw you getting killed one by one, but I did nothing but to just watch while everyone was getting slaughtered by her!"

"..." (Y/n) and Monarch were surprised on her outburst. Their suspicions were correct.

'Who is this 'her'?' Monarch thought, her intererest further piqued.

"I saw you fall out of the sky, dad..." Monica continued. At this point, she was already crying and sobbing. "You took serious damage on your aircraft. Even so, you continued to fight until the wings of your Raptor ripped off... Your plane crashed into the sea and exploded..."

"..." (Y/n) lets out a frustrated sigh at the revelation.

"As for mom and the others..." Monica didn't manage to finish her sentence as she began to cry more, the images of the dead bodies of her comrades floating in the sea flashing in her mind.

Monarch, unsure of what to do, decided to embrace Monica in an attempt to comfort her. Monica began crying more and more, soaking Monarch's uniform with her tears, but Monarch didn't mind it and lets her let it out. Although it was their first time that they've met, she felt some sort of connection with Monica, and she knew she has to do something.

Monarch and (Y/n) looked at each other with a concerned expression plastered on their faces. For a few moments, they stayed with Monica until she finally calmed down.

Unbeknownst to them, Vestal was on the other side of the door. She heard their whole conversation - all of it. The repair ship clutched her clipboard tightly, unable to contain her emotions after hearing the horrors Monica had suffered. It was at that moment that Vestal knew, the same fate will happen to this world.

Death is inevitable.

---

The Next Day...