𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘: 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐖𝐈𝐍

• ★ •

it was raining.

the drops of water were loud as they pounded on the roof of nyla's car as she drove to the gazebo where her and vinnie had last talked. she parked the car, blowing out a nervous breath of air before looking out the window, trying to find vinnie in the darkness.

where was he?

the headlights of another car blinded her for a second before she realized that it was vinnie that had stopped his car right next to her.

they both looked at each other through their car windows, nyla giving him a small smile that he didn't return.

vinnie got out of the car, opening an umbrella and shielding himself from the rain as he walked up to nyla's door and opened it, holding the umbrella over her as well.

the girl got out, the pair walking slowly under the umbrella to the dry concrete under the roof of the gazebo.

vinnie closed the umbrella and sat down with nyla, their positions the exact same as the last time that they had seen each other here.

"so you kissed him?" vinnie asked, rubbing his chin with his thumb. 

nyla nodded, staring at the ground.

"do you like him, then?"

nyla shrugged, biting her bottom lip.

"do you still like me?"

nyla nodded.

"goddamnit, ny, can you fucking talk?" vinnie yelled out over the storm. 

the girl flinched, her eyes snapping up to vinnie, whose eyes softened. 

"i didn't mean to yell," vinnie said, moving a little closer to nyla, their knees touching. "i just really need you to talk to me right now."

nyla closed her eyes, a tear escaping her eyes. "i don't know what's going on right now, vinnie," she muttered, "i don't know what i'm feeling."

vinnie sighed, grabbing nyla's chin and forcing her to look up at him. "you mean a lot to me, okay? and i know i made a mistake lying to you and i'm so sorry about liz. so until you figure out what's going on with you and troy or you and me, i'll be waiting."

vinnie leaned in closer to the girl, his eyes traveling down the slope of her nose, her chapped lips, and then back up to her eyes.

"but you have to choose. it's either me or troy."

vinnie let go of nyla's chin, standing up. "you should get home now, it's gonna start to rain a lot harder."

• ★ •

"hey, you okay?" troy asked as nyla walked back into her house, her hair and clothes slightly damp from the rain. "you forgot your umbrella here."

nyla nodded, taking her shoes off and walking over to the kitchen, making herself some hot chocolate.

"what's wrong, nyla?"