1

"I love you. sleep well don't let the bed bugs bite." I say softly after kissing my adopted daughter's forehead. She looked exactly like my Ex-wife which made it that much harder to say no to her. Sighing I close the door and walk to the living room. We didn't have a lot, a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Winston Salem.

I turn on the TV making sure the volume isn't loud enough to wake my kids. I change the channel to the Olympic channel as it overviews the Men's top 16 in table tennis (ping-pong) that took place in Switzerland 4 days ago. Once it is on my preferred channel I walk into the kitchen and pull a beer from the top shelf in the pantry. I twist off the cap and take my seat on the love seat in front of the tv and watch the Men dominate the table.

as I'm watching the previous world champ I watch the Chinese male makes his final serve before I could see if his opponent could return it I get a phone call. I check the caller ID to make sure it wasn't the prison. When it's not the prison I try to think where I recognize the name from.

Jill Ellis

After it clicks in my head I immediately accept the call and hold it to my ear as I walk to my bedroom and shut the door.

"Hey, Jill what do you need?"

"I have a very big ask and I don't trust anyone else!" She rushes out as if she's being held at gunpoint.

"I'll do whatever it is if you explain what's happening."

"My wife's mother is very sick. The doctors say she only has 6 months at most to live.Me and my wife have made the decisions that we weren't just going to hope that she makes it to 6 months but stay with her and value the time we have left."

"I completely understand if I were in a similar situation then I would like to think I would make the same decision now what is your ask?" I question wondering what she wants me to do.

"I need you to take over the team?" She says as if she is unsure of my answer.

"I told you after you helped me out whatever you need I'll do or try to do to the best of my ability but how will the federation let this pass?"

"I rushed the application process and with them not giving a shit about the women team they didn't care."

"Okay. I'll do it but why did you choose me?"

"You have an eye for sports, you carry around a demanding aura, people listen when you speak and you understand every position on the pitch. I've never met someone who thinks about soccer as much as you and the level in which you think about it."

"Ok. Well I'm gonna have to call you for help sometimes but I think I can handle it."

"Oh also starting on the 10th all the girls are meeting in colorado and you are all staying there for the remainder of the months till the World cup except for send-off and qualification matches."

"Can I bring my kids?"

"Yes, and the organization has already reached out to your kid's school and has notified them that they will be going online for the next couple of months."

"Ok."

"I'll email you everything you'll need as well as player profiles."

"Okay, thanks jill I'll let you go.Sleep well and stay safe." We exchange goodbyes before hanging up. I drop my phone and start packing. I don't really care about anything else but my kids.

I mean how are they going to take this they have a life here and now I'm going to uproot them after their dad dies then their mom goes to prison. I have to stop jumping to the what-ifs. I stand take a couple of breaths and head back out to the couch where my barely touched beer sits on the right of the remote. On the opposite side of the remote sits my wedding band the simple silver and that has since turned black from all the oil that collected on it since being given it from Stefanie.

I'm tempted to put it back on but can't bring myself to do so after she basically destroyed our family we had built. I'm pulled out of my thoughts as brett climbs into my lap.

"Hey buddy," I say softly.

"Hi, momma." His voice shakes as he speaks softly.

I rake my hands through his short blonde hair as he tucks himself into my body. "Do you wanna talk about it buddy?" I question knowing the nightmares he suffers from.

"No." he states sadly.

"Okay baby do you want to hear about my co-worker who spilt coffee on himself?" I question knowing how he likes to laugh at my co-worker James's ability to spill literally everything on himself.

"Sure." His mood lifts barely.

"So I was in my office reading over my report for Hyper a new clothing brand that just started. I look up trying to think of a word and Mr.Langsteen is coming out of his office with a cup of coffee in his hand. Do you know what happens next?" I question.

"Boom!" He says with more excitement than early as he shows his hand going out in mock demonstration.

"Yes, buddy he tripped on the doorframe somehow and spilled coffee all over his white shirt and the carpet."

"Mr.Langsteen is very clumsy isn't he?"

The 9 year old in my lap question "Yeah he is. Do you want to try going back to sleep buddy?"

The little boy in my lap sighs."But I don't want to go to school tomorrow!"

"What if I told you, you weren't."

"What!"

"I have something coming up and we will be traveling but until then I want you to go to bed so you can be ready to travel."

He nods his head in super speed before kissing my cheek and running back to his room. I chuckle at his antics before drinking the rest of my beer and shutting off the TV. I turn off all the lights on my way to my room and plug in my phone. I set an alarm for 5 so I can get ready since I'm about to be put on blast by the media once they get my name. I go to sleep reminiscing on all the good memories I had with Stef.

- - -

new book super excited.