15

Dinner started off on a good note until the players reloaded both Emily and Allie were missing. Very few voiced their opinions but the glares I was receiving spoke volumes. About half way through dinner I had enough.

I make my way to the front of the room. All y'all pauses as I begin to speak. "You all might've noticed we are missing two players tonight. Before any rumors start I want to set the record straight. I have sent food up to them via the training staff. I have also given them tommorow off to recover after their workout. They are still on this team. I used them as an example because at the end of the day words mean nothing until actions speak up. I announced to all of you that any dirty tackles or altercations during practice will result in you running a Sicarii, they decided to test me and I kept my word. Use this as a reminder play aggressive but stay level headed. You all have so much untouched potential and I have taken on the job to bring it to light, but you will only unlock it being level headed. Anger is good and encouraged but being reckless will only find you a permanent spot. I am I understood?"

"Understood."

"Now if you all will allow me I will talk about why I choose the Sicarii for the name and a littler personal story about the punishment."

They all nod urging me to continue as they all want to know how I came up with such a sadistic workout.

"When I was playing ball in high school- sorry football in high school I was a teenager. You know I was skipping class, getting into fights, failing classes, doing drugs, and all that jazz. Well my coach, coach Burk or as we called him Big Benny wasn't going to put up with me. So everyday  at the end of practice he would set up everything and he would tell me what to do. And I had to do it in full pads. I didn't listen when he told me to do it in silence I was mouthing off calling him every name in the book, saying I would beat his ass and just being a complete jack-off. For the first 15 times he made me do it I would leave after the 50 40's. So before the 16th time he was going to make me do it he dismissed practice and I was told to come talk to him in his office after I showered. To be completely honest I thought he was kicking me off the team. So I shower and sat in his office that smelt like Vic's vapor rub and cigarette smoke. He sits across from me and asks me why I keep showing up to practice. I respond with you know the ladies love it, I was trying to lighten the mood he wasn't having it. If it was legal he would've smacked me so hard I would be seeing stars. So he restated the question. So I knew I had to be jones with him or else I really would be cut. So I said to win state. So then he asked me why I think he makes me run a Sicarii. I went off on him calling him a sadistic bastard and every relating synonym. He then told me that I could be the best receiver he had ever seen. So I got all cocky but he shut it down quick by saying that the only thing stopping me was my mental toughness. And I knew it was true. I was gifted I was told that all my life but I hated the risk of failing because what if I prove that I was nothing special I would've let down my whole town. So I played everything safe. He then told me that I would do it every day until I got under 1 hour and 30 minutes. The first time I ran it I puked 5 times and completed the workout in 4 hours. But I stayed silent. I think that workout teaches you so much not just in mental toughness but also your body, and your actions. After about the first month of completing them I started going to the field after football season ended and did it every day. I was physically and mentally in the best shape I had ever been in. Coach Burks was a good man, fought in the marines, he was a wild child and had a decisions to make either do prison time or join the corps. In the corps he turned his life around. He was the first person outside of my immediate family to cost me after my injury. We talked for like an hour and he told me that the reason he used to only make me run the Sicarii was because he had seen himself in me and was afraid I would be a little wild to reign back in. I credit all my success to him without him i could very well be in prison or dead. I wanted to share this with you so you don't think I'm some sadistic bastard who just wants to see you in pain as I though of him." I finish my story and see a bunch of players slacked jaw probably thinking I was always respectful and well mannered.

"Before I dismiss you all I want to tell you what THIS teams core values are as of now. We will treat ourselves, our teammates, our opponents, and everyone else with respect. I don't care how much you hate Canada or Sweden at the end of the match you will shake their hand say good game no matter the out come. We will not mouth off on social media we will keep to our selves and put our heads down and work. I don't care about your politics, sexuality, skin color, income level, or how you were raised that doesn't matter to me all that matter to me is us winning. Bryn Woodly doesn't lose, I have never and will never be a loser now that you are working under me you will now become winners. We need to turn around our standings after Rio. I will not tolerate loser and I don't mean us losing a game because it happens but when I talk about loser I mean the mindset that you are okay with second place. If you are okay with second place I want you to come talk to me privately so I can call in another player who wants to win. If you are okay with second then you are not trying to get better. If you are not looking to improve your game by any means necessary then please pack your bags and I will personally buy your plane ticket home. Is that understood?"

"Yes." They all respond collectively.

"I want you all to watch this play this on YouTube. This ain't to toot my own horn but to show the winning mindset. NC high school state finale Woodly broken Arm. After watching that I want you to reevaluate your selves and no I am not asking you to play with a broken arm that would be stupid I am asking you to play through road blocks to the best of your ability. Have a good evening you all are dismissed." I walk out of the room with none of the players following me.

I make it up to my room and hang out with my kids before knocking out.

====

Coach burk is based off my father who finished a soccer match with a shattered foot after striking the goal post.