32

June 11th opening match for us. The day had been tense to say the least. Everyone was just itching to step onto the pitch, Bryn included.

Minutes before loading onto the bus to head to the stadium Bryns phone starts to blow up. She pulls the small device from her sweat pants pocket and turns it on.

The wide array of notifications from various news outlets and family were starting to worry her. She opened up the first Fox sports headline and skimmed over the headline.

"What to know about Bryn Woodly, Head Coach for the USWNT before the opening match of the 2019 WWC" the headline read in bold letter.

It listed everything from my drug abuse and addiction, never stating that I was over a year clean. My divorce and then my ex-wife's imprisonment, as well as pulling up stuff from my younger days such as vandalism, shoplifting, fighting and other stupid shit I did in my younger days. They even went as far as to say my personal actions could put the team at risk. These are people who have never met me are making assumptions of who I am as a person.

I was pissed but I couldn't show the team that. I count everyone to make sure they are present before rounding them up on the bus on the way to the stadium.

By the looks I was receiving from the girls I knew that they had seen the article. I bow my head in shame for the rest of the ride until we arrive at the stadium.

Getting off the bus everyone dawned their game face as they walked pass the awaiting camera crew. I gave myself a mental pep-talk before exiting the bus and tasing my head. I wanted to exude as much confidence as I could.

Arriving in the locker room I posted the roster.

Rapinoe: C
Naher
Mewis
Ohara
Dhalkemper
Ertz
Horan
Morgan
Heath
Dunn

Once the roster is posted I excuse myself out the back door and light my first cig of the night. I routinely check my watch in between pulls of nicotine.

When there was just over 7 minutes before warmups I renter the locker room and head to my office. My accessory coaches walked out with the team for warmups.

Once the team leaves I shower quickly before dressing in my official "kit" and do my hair before checking in with my equipment staff.

After quadruple checking with my staff that all the jerseys were hung up and everything the girls could possible need would be at there disposal.

The team arrives back in the locker room. I excuse myself for them to get dressed as I make sure everything is ready.

My alarm rings alerting me that there was only 10 minutes left before we head to the tunnel.

I walk into the locker room. "Everyone may I have your attention!" It's not a question it's a demand. "This is our opening game. Let's show the world how strong we are. We are gonna win this game and I won't except anything less then a pure slaughter of our opponent.  This is were we righty our wrong and redeem ourselves after Rio. I'll give it to your captain to say her final words before kick off." I step to the back wall and  wait until my timer goes off to line them up in the tunnel.

Megan offers some words before the timer goes off. "Get in order of jersey number." Is all I offer as the subs and I head to the bench.
—————-
I blank out most of the game, well all of the game to be honest. I make sure to greet everyone single player that stepped on the fieldworker the opposition. I give massive props to the Thai keeper. After all the after game things are done on the pitch we head to locker room before Media duties. Once we are all in the locker room I give them my run down.