45

I wake at 5 with Tobin wrapped around d me. I slowly sneak out from under the tanned striker. I get dressed and head to the gym.

As I workout my mind jumps from all the coaching opportunities I have been extended. I did it wrong I should of coached college, then pro, then national but I guess my circumstance wasn't normal.

I was stuck on two teams. Wolfsburg over in Germany. It seemed great, I would create more professional relationships and it would help to grow my brand and my knowledge as European football is very different form of football. The only issue is I don't speak German. And while most of them speak English, German is the primary language and I don't want to have to learn German while trying to coach a team who might not understand me.

The other team I was heavily considering is Wake Forest. I grew up rooting for the Deacs. If I wouldn't have gotten injured I would've gone to Wake as they offered to let me play basketball and soccer. And the players are all at an age where they have the ability to change, and since it's not a winning program I will have a shot to fully implement all of my ideas.

Everything was so complicated. I've never had to put this much thought in where I would work. I really want to head to German but I don't think I can uproot my kids who are just finally settling back into their normal life.

I finish my workout and head back to the house. Before I do anything I email Wake confirmation of my Head Coach role. I shower and dress in shorts and a t-shirt. I decide to make to my kids pancakes over a previous promise.

As I cook the kids and I breakfast .I feel Tobin slip her arms around my waist and kiss my shoulder blade. "Hey babe?" I question as I finish the last pancake from the batter.

"Goodmorning." She says as she starts the coffee pot.

"Good morning. So I thought I should tell you this before you found out in the news. Umm I'm going to be the head coach at Wake Forest."

"That's awesome babe. I'm happy for you." She says with a wide smile painting her face.

"Any new news with you?"

"Nope. I don't have to play for another month and a half. Then the NWSL is going to try a new tournament format before the new season begins.  It will be a tournament that is played in Utah so there is no traveling and it would allow the lesser teams to have a shot at getting a ring."

"That's smart. If you email me the dates I'll see me and the kids can go."

"Well I also have something else to tell you I'm heading over to Manchester. I signed with Manchester United before I came here." I felt kinda back stabbed. Not in the fact that she was leaving because I almost left the states, I felt blind sided as she made it seem like it wasn't anything.

Despite my anger towards how Tobin brought it up. I let it go to continue our civil conversation. "Do you know anyone on that team?"

She nods as she sips her coffee. "Me and Christen are heading over there soon."

"Okay. Is there anything you want to do before you head back to Portland to finish packing."

"No. You don't have to do anything. I'm happy spending the rest of this week with the kids and you."

"Well while I would love to do that. Brett and Ansley have practice from 6-7. I needed to ask you if you could pick them up and drop them off as I have a doctors appointment."

"Yeah sure just text me the details and I'll do it."

"Thank you. Your a life saver." The kids walk down the stairs. "Pancakes are on the stove and juice is in the fridge." The nod as they make their plates and sit down next to me and Tobin.

"Hey Brett, Ansley, I'm going to have Tobin drive you to and from practice today. is that okay?"

"Yeah momma but why?" Ansley questions.

"Because I have a doctors appointment that starts at 6."

"Oh okay. Why are you going to the doctors?"

"My back has been hurting so I want to just get it checked out before I hurt it more."

The kids just nod. We eat with relatively light banter. Tobin finally getting in on our heated Running Back debate. I have Christen McCaffrey, Brett picked Saquon Barkley, Ansley picked up Austin Eckler, and Tobin threw in the Le'Veon Bell card. We cleaned up breakfast as the plates were scrapped cleaned.

Me, Tobin, Brett, and Ansley head to the park after breakfast to play catch. And for me to help Brett and Ansley with their stance. I make sure my kids have the fundamentals ironed out so everything else comes easier.

We take a water break about 2 hours into playing at the park. I check my phone to see that I have secured the coaching job at Wake and I will start July 15th.

I send back a quick okay. I walk back to my kids. "Hey I have some news for you guys."

They just nod urging me to continue. "So I have accepted a coaching job at Wake Forest. The only thing that will change is We will be moving closer to the school. I can keep you enrolled in your sports over here but I might have to change your schools. Is that okay?" I question knowing how much this could change their unstable life.

"It's fine momma. I just want to play sports it doesn't have to be with this team." She states, Brett nodding with her.

"Okay well after this week we will look for a house close to campus."

======
Small little chapter but fu it. All I know is I'm not writing covid into this book. So I will try to keep everything the same but I will be having to make up a few stats as ncaa sports where very hit or miss in 2020 and I will have to use the challenge cup and fall series as we Barley had an NWSL season.