40

Dinner was awkward after the press conference. Even if all the players did know my plans of retiring or the fact that Stef died it's just different when it's not on my own terms.

I still don't understand why they needed to talk to me about such personal stuff when I'm a coach not a reality TV star.

The air was heavy as we ate. The room filled with sounds of cutlery on the plate.

I needed to address them but I didn't know when. I also didn't want to make myself look like a fool by thinking they were concerned about me when really it was other personal stuff. 

I just decided to leave it until one main problem arose. If players had issues I have confidence they would come to me.  So I left room after dismissing everyone and heading up to my room with the kids. We start watching TV as my phone rings.

Kelley's name appears on the top of the mobile device. I accept it and step outside into the patio. "Hey Kelley what's up?" I start off  trying to gauge her mood.

"Hey umm Bryn can I talk to you somewhere private?" She questions on edge.

"Yeah sure meet me in the conference room."

"Okay." She says shyly. I quickly change into jeans and a loose t-shirt. I grab my cigs and put them in my pocket before slipping on my
Shoes and heading to the conference room.

I make it to the conference room a minute before Kelley arrives giving me time to settle in.

Kelley walks in with her hands shoved as deep in her pockets as the denim allowed. I wait for her to take her seat before starting my questioning.

"Hey Kelley what's up?"

"I ummm- I sorta like someone but I don't know if I'm able to date someone and stay sober. And I'm just scared because I like her but I also need to stay sober and I don't know." She ramble soft throwing her hands up in defeat.

"Hey Kelley. Let's breathe for a minute. You can date while getting or staying sober. It is harder since you will have no emotional suppression that you used to find in alcohol. My main thing would be that you need to be totally honest with your partner. You can't bury it and numb yourself. Getting sober sucks but it helps you get in tune with your body and it's needs. So your mad, tell them don't hold it in. And speak your opinion if they are set on going to a bar and getting drunk every night you need to speak up and say I like you but it is counteracting my goals and I might need to distance myself from you for the time being."

"Are you sure. But like doesn't the relationship dynamic change if I don't drink?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Like dates and stuff. Wouldn't it be awkward if they are drinking wine and I'm just drinking water."

"It's only awkward if they make it awkward. And a lot of bars now make mock tails which is non alcoholic cocktails and they are great, well most of them. Or you can get a soda or whatever you. Also if you do start to feel self conscious about not being able to drink then express that to your partner so you could possibly do something different then going to a bar for date night or something else."

"What if they make fun of me for being sober?"

"Then they aren't worth your time, and they also have the maturity level of a 6 year old. Just don't let someone disrespect you."

"Oh okay. Well ummm thanks."

"Is that all Kelley?"

"Umm yeah."

"Okay if you wanna talk about anything I'm all ears?" I offer still sensing anxious she is.

"Umm why do you let the media walk all over you. First with your record, then drug abuse, your divorce, and everything else. You almost never defend yourself. Why is that?"

"Because I knew taking this job would lead to an envision of privacy. I expected it and I can only take it in stride. I'm just happy that they leave my kids out of it. They meddle in everything else but my kids life."

"The media just walks all over you. Why do you keep showing up to the press conferences?"

"Because I'm the head coach of this team. I will always go out with who ever is called up for Media Duty. I'm there if they overstep with them."

"Do you ever want to stand up to them?"

"Actually no. No reaction is a good reaction for me. If I react I go to prison. If I react they know I have a weak spot and they will exploit it so I don't react and I take it."

"But you don't have to just take it. You could stand up for yourself."

"I only have 5 games at most left with you guys so I'm just doing my best to make sure we get to play all 5 games. After that I can go back to my normal boring life. We just need a gold medal and a fourth star, then my jobs complete."

"Oh Umm okay."

"Any more questions?"

"No. Goodnight Bryn."

"Goodnight Kelley." I wave her off as she leaves the conference. I wait a few more minutes to make sure she made it back to her room before I head to the roof.

Arriving at the roof I pull out the pack from my front pocket and light the one of the downturned sticks. Placing it between my lips helps me just sorta float away. The small nicotine buzz helping to ease my worries.

This team could blow up any minute and tag last thing I want to do is be here when that happens. These girls spend more time together then they do with there family. The bond runs deep and breaking the bond would leave a lot of people as collateral damages.

I finish my smoke before stubbing it out with my shoe and heading to bed.

=======
Jessie Fleming is amazing and she will be an LI in one of my upcoming books.