39

Since today was the last day before we took on Chile I would have individual conferences with each player on what they would need to focus on this match. There would be a very light practice before lunch just to keep everything moving.

I hit arms today in the gym trying to get my size up. I didn't do anything to crazy just focused on my form.

Arriving back at the hotel I hang out with Ansley and Brett who woke up early this morning for who even knows why.

We watch tv shows until breakfast. Heading into the meal room all of us sit together as pop music plays through the speakers helping to keep the light and upbeat atmosphere.

I then go through all the player meetings before I release them for an hour of free time before practice.

We just hang out in a comfortable silence. I have noticed since Stef passes the kids have been really quiet. My guess is they are just trying to get through everything on their own but I know that they can come to me if needed.

Finally we all head out to the field for a light practice. So light in fact that the kids and all the coaches where able to hop in as we were playing 6v6 in a tournament style play. First the 1 goal wins but really we just kept rotating teams for an hour and we only played about 39 yards of fields or 27 and a half meters.

We finish practice with a light cool down and stretch before heading back to the hotel for a short recovery. The girls had the rest of the day off.

——

The next morning I work out my back and chest before heading back to the hotel. I shower and dress in shorts and a t-shirt before waking the kids and getting them changed.

We head to the meal room and blast pop music as players take turns dancing and cracking jokes.

We head to the stadium a few hours later. I let the girls do their rituals and get dressed before heading into the locker room after warm ups.

"We have this game all day. Just focus on fundamentals and focus on building. If you have a chance be selfish and take it. Endler is a good keeper so beat her by ripping shots firm everywhere. Now I'll let your captain say a few words. I say as everyone turns to face their captain.

I step back and let them get their minds right before we head out into the tunnel to link arms with the kids before we beat the Chilean squad.

I stay seated for most of the game only clapping for a celebration as we score 3 and getting Alyssa her second clean sheet in the World Cup.

I'm gonna be honest goal differential plays a huge role in this tournament and with us facing the Swedes next I knew we would have to use the 13-0 victory for cushion.

As the game winds down into the finale minutes I start shaking my coaching staffs hand. Once the whistle blows I hug all of my players. After I congratulate my players I shake every single player on the Chile squad even those who didn't play and the coaches offering them my wishes as they face Thailand next.

Heading into the locker room I was meet with a full on party. I pull aside our co-captains for media duties and head to the press room.

The questions were normal at first until the press turned their attention towards me. A fat white dude goes first. "Is it true that your ex wife died in prison. Two days ago?"

He questions like it's a normal conversation starter. "Okay firstly that is none of your business. Second off how did you guys know that. And lastly why do you feel the need to bring it up. But to answer your question yes she died. I don't know how. And me and my kids are Grieving the loss of a wife and mother so please don't bring up personal matter again." I try to stay as professional as possible even if this dude was making it hard too.

A Middle Ages woman goes next. "Is it true you will be stepping down after the World Cup?"

"Yes. This is not what I feel my calling is. All of the players know and USSF is already finding the next coach. I know that they will be a great coach and will lead these girls to success in the future."

"What are you thinking of doing after coaching?" An older black man questions.

"I will probably go back to my day job after this. But to be honest I have no idea what the future holds but all I know is that I will accept it head on. And if you all have any more soccer related questions now do the time to ask. If not we will be leaving?"

No one speaks up and we are released.  The girls shower and dress I got their street clothes before boarding the bus.

I start rewatching the game and making notes as I see fit. Sweden was a tough team and due to our recent history with them I think everybody was more anxious for the next game then all of our previous games combined.

====
Short update but fuck it.

Also if any of you guys know Spanish I might need you to slide up so I can pass my Spanish class because I don't know tiddly squat.

But stay safe, drink water, and don't die.