34

Even with my frivolously checking of my mobile device it never rings. My thumbs damn near worn down from pressing the screen so many times over the past hour.

I'm so close to just walking over there. I need to know if she's okay. How did the team take it. I just need to know what's going on.

But I can't. I told her I would stand by her decision, and I gotta own up to that.

It's just so hard when you don't know if she's okay or not.

My kids had knocked out about 30 minutes ago and I was driving myself wild.

My mind was going a million miles a minute. I finally had a enough of it so I headed outside for a smoke. I grab the unopened pack from its spot in my duffel bag. I exit the room through the sliding glass door and sit in one of the hotel chairs.

I unwrap the pack from the plastic before opening the lid and removing the foil covering the neatly rolled fags.

I flip one upside down and pull another one out of the pack. I place the stick between my lips and inhale as I light it. It catches quickly as I'm able to exhale on my first light.

I keep checking my phone in between puffs.  The screen doesn't light up until my 4th cancer stick. I tap the notification as soon as it appears.

Kelley Ohara: Hey can you come to my room.

I respond quickly.

Me: Yeah omw.

I smash out the cig under my shoe before heading back inside. I put on deodorant and spray some cologne on before heading to Kelley's room.

I knock on the door and wait for it to be opened. A few seconds later Alyssa opens the door. "Come on in." I just nod as she steps aside and I walk through.

"Hey Bryn. Umm the team kinda wanted too talk to you about umm I don't know." Her voice trailing off the longer her sentence went on.

"Okay. Umm ask away?" I say as I try to understand the situation.

"Why did you feel the need to hide Kelley's addiction from us?" Alex asks angered evident in her voice.

"Umm it wasn't my call to disclose a players personal issue to others. I do the same for all my players if you tell me something in confidence I will keep it."

"Do you think it's fair to keep this secret from all of us?" Tobin questions even more mad and almost hurt.

"I think I did the right thing. I wanted Kelley to just focus on herself first, and truly it was up to her. All I did was support her. I think you all should be proud that she has gotten clean. I think you all should proud that she has stayed clean. I think you all should be proud that she has shown up to practice every single day and worked even when she was feeling like shit. I think if you all pull your heads out of your asses you would see everything she has overcome in silence. That's what I think." I say completely outraged at the teams behavior.

Who do they think they are.

"Doesn't it affect the team?" Allie questions.

"I don't think it affected the team in the slightest when you didn't know. So what now you know, nothing should change. If this is still troubling you in the morning after a full nights rest then we will continue this talk but until then please leave." Most of the players stare flabbergasted at me.

"Seriously your kicking us out for worrying about the team?" Megan questions almost offend.

"You know what yes. I am.  Kelley just told you all a major thing and you are turning the blame around on me like it was my choice. I do what is best for my players. I don't go around blabbing about anything you all tell me. Either understand that what she just did is bigger then all of you, so either admire her bravery or get out. I'm not going to stand for you tearing her or me down over a decision that was made for her mental health. Get out or shut up, got it!" I roar completely over the bitching from this team.

Most players just drop their heads and leave. Once all the people who weren't ready to hear what Kelley said left I address the rest of the team. "Do any of y'all have any questions for me?"

"No." The mass majority reply back.

"Okay well you all are dismissed curfew is in 10 so head to bed." The just nod as they head out.

"Hey Kell you Okay?" I question the defender who was probably just judged by the people who she spends the most one with.

"Yeah I'm okay. I feel like this huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I'm not hiding anything anymore."

"That's awesome. If you ever need something just call me."

"I know Bryn."

"Okay well imma head to bed. You do the same."

"Okay goodnight Bryn." I wave goodbye to all of them and exit the room.

Just as I'm about to turn down the hall to head to my room Tobin pulls me aside. "Hey tobs what's up?"

"Nothing I just wanted to ask you something?"

"What?"

"I- Umm can we talk somewhere private?" She questions nervously.

"Okay yeah lest head to the stairwell." I walk towards the stairwell as she follows.

Once in the confines of the stairwell she starts talking. "What happened back there?"

"What do you mean?" I question.

"Why did you get so pissed at all of us back in Kelley's room.?"

"Because I was in her shoes. All I wanted when I told my family I was clean was to be welcomed into opened, loving arms. And I wasn't and it crushed me almost to the point of relapse. So seeing most of y'all get pissed at me and her sorta made me get on the defensive."

"But doesn't it affect us."

I take a deep breathe to stop myself from slapping her. I try to be level headed but I'm boutta smack this girl. "Look can you just stand by Kelley. She has struggled alone for a while. She trusted you all, and you all bitching at me and her only hurts her. So can you look past yourself for one gosh dang minute and see what Kelley has done while maintaining a professional manner. I mean how selfish can y'all be. Just don't talk to me until you understand what Kelley has done." I say as I turn to leave.

As I go to push down on the handle tobins hands wraps around my left wrist and pulls me into her. I turn to remove her hand from wrist but before I can pry her hand off she kisses me. As soon as I process what's happening is step back and lightly push her away.

"Tobin I'm sorry but you can't do that. I'm your coach."

"Shush no one has to know."

"No dammit Tobin. I am your coach, do you understand the repercussions of this. Look I'm done coaching after this tourney you wanna talk then, we can talk but until then I'm only your coaches and anything you do that passes that line is putting not only my job but my name under fire. Got it!" I snap not trying to let this girl ruin my life.

"Got it. Now can you calm down."

"Look curfew is in 2 head up to your room and forget this happened at least till now." I say as she leaves. I take a few deep breathes. Who the fuck does she think she is.

I head back to my room and flip down on the mattress as soon as I strip from my shoes. The stress of this day finally catching up to me.

=====
New chap pretty nice if I do say so myself.

I got a shit ton of new ideas that are being written out but until then I'm just going to go steady with all of this.

I'm gonna update a little more now that's I'm battling a knee injury. So inbetween recov and workouts I'll try to update.