13

The next morning went the same as it had for the past couple years. Breakfast was hectic with the equipment staff having to circle back with each other ever 2 minutes make sure they had all the equipment needed for the girls and training, while also making sure everything was set out for each individual player.

The players were pretty calm since most of them were still nursing on their  first cup.

By 9 we were all waiting in the lobby for the rest of the girls to show up.

On the field was a whole different story the girls were energized and upbeat. Joking around while still stretching just keeping the mood light.

I talk with my position coaches to plan out the 3-hour practice so that we got the most out of the girls without putting them out risk for any injuries.

After the girls have run through their stretches I call them to the center circle. Once all have gathered around I put my plan into motion. "First practice of this camp and my first practice as coach. Defenders I want you to just work on foot placement and how to shut down our opposition. Midfield I want you to work on spacial awareness, not only were your teammates are but where your defender and the next closes defender. Forwards I want you to start working on crosses we have a team of 22 finishers I want play makers. Keepers you will be working on up downs. Talk to Hope about all the details I'll watch over everything and take notes as well as adjust as need be. Don't stop until your name or number is shouted we will not give up on a ball until the whistle is blown. If you are seen to stop moving before your name or number is called you will be staying back to run laps. Understood?"

A sea of "got it", "understood" and nods  protrude from the players around me. I nod my head and they head over to their assigned roles. I walk to the sideline and grab my notebook and pen. I give them all 5 minutes to fully hear or the drill and take their first run through before starting my training session.

I start by observing my defenders. Crystal was picking up quick shifting her feet to give her the ability to move in either direction without having to take a extra step while lower the chances of her getting megged. Kelley picked up decently quick but had a hard time adjusting her foot placement. Tiernia was the quickest to pick up on all changes that we made and was a model student. Even being able to pick her self bigger with a narrower stance which is hard to do without drawing a hand ball. Becky has a hard time adjusting but with a few adjustments I made to help get her close to what I wanted without making her change her playing style.

After being thoroughly impressed with the progresse the defenders made I move to the forwards since the middies have the hardest job since they have to rely on their senses rather then just like if I run into a problem I'll try to get out of it. Press was sending in beautiful crosses hitting back post, right in front of the penalty marker, right outside the 18 and front post. Rapinoe was struggling to get the height on the ball to make it to front post. Morgan was doing fine I gave her a few pointers to get a little extra power on her cross without overshooting the ball or not being able to get the ball off the ground.

Moving to the midfielders, Tobin adapted well and was showing how much she was willing to change to fit into my lineup. Allie long was struggling to pay attention to everything so I decided to fully step in. "Stop Play!" All the middies stop moving as I approach Allie in the middle of the 20 yard stretch with Sam infront of her and rose, and Julie behind her. I grab the ball from infront of Allie. "Let's get rid of the ball and let's run this without a ball I want you to keep your head raised, jog and never look back. You can see Sam but with your head up I want you to focus on the sound of the players behind you. Ok?"

"Ok." We run through it 3 times before she finally gets the hang of just going off of hearing instead of taking your eyes off of the defender infront of her. While there was a definite learning curve since most of the players weren't used to having to focus on more then two things at once much less 4-5 things at once but once they all started running it without the ball a few times before adding the ball into play it definitely helped to shorten the curve.