22

By the time Hannah gets down to the conference room the pain has worsened leading me to believe that I've reinjured  my PCL.

She takes me through the normal checkup. Testing mobility, askingnwhere my pain is and things of that sort.

After about 7 minutes she comes to a conclusion. "Bryn it seems you've agitated your PCL. And with the extent of the damage it took when you tore everything in it it never fully healed. So something you did probably hyperextended your knee when you don't have complete mobility back in the knee."

"What is the recovery plan do you think?"

"I would just say wear your knee brace, use crutches if the pain flares up again. Try and limit weight you put on it. If you are looking to work out try and adjust everything so you can be seated. We'll meet up again in 3 days so I can gauge your pain. If t doesn't lessen in 3 days I will send you to the ER to get it checked. Is that good?"

"Yeah. We'll get outta here dinners about to be served and it'll take me a minute to get down there."

"Alright well I'll see you tomorrow." I just nod as she leaves the room.

I call Christie to make sure she has my kids, and to update her on my injury.

Finally decided that my presence is needed in the meal room. I stand slowly and tighten my brace.

I start the walking to the elevator never remembering how long it truly was.

I somehow make it down to the meal room. I'm panting and out of breathe with my head pounding. I take a few seconds to recompose myself before entering the room.

I push through the doors and take note that everyone is in the room. I make myself a plate and try to hide my limp as I take a seat next to my kids.

"Hey guys. Sorry I had something to deal with. What if we watched a movie tonight before bed?" I offer up since I haven't spent nearly enough time with them and my kids are the main priority.

"Sure." Ansley says. And Brett just does a little happy dance in his chair.

After that is settled I tune into what my staff is talking about. Nothing really comes about of it as the At's are just talking with Alannah to mark sure everything is up to date and most people are just having small useless side conversations. Nearing the end of dinner I decide to put my foot down. I wait for my kids to finish eating dinner and send them out along with the rest of the staff to start my players only meeting.

I walk to the front of the room and lean against a table to take off some weight. "You are probably getting tired of these talks as am I. I can stand here and tell you all this philosophical bullshit for hours, but that doesn't do anything. I thought that after seeing what I had put Emily and Allie through the first day would whip you guys into line. Obviously not. I don't care what happens off the field, I only start to care when it hinders your playing ability. You all are adults- professional athletes are you really going to let some petty off the field shit interfere with your spot on the field. This team you will earn everything. Nothing is guaranteed. As soon as you all realize that we will begin to Make progress. If you all haven't realized I haven't watched a soccer games much less women's soccer in probably 10 years. So I don't know the records you hold or anything like that. Nor do I care. I don't care if you've been on this team for 10 years or 10 weeks. I am not looking for finishers. I have about 19 finishers on this team, I'm looking for play makers. Who has the vision to set up the goal. Once you show me your play making ability that is when you start getting caps. If you want more help on that front either go talk to your position coach or email me and I will set you up with a one on one session. Now that that is out of the way I want to extend an arm out to all of you. If you have an issue with a player that you either can't get dissolve by yourself or fear your safety on the pitch please come to me and I will make sure it is settled. My one goal is to win the World Cup and I cant do that if you all are not mentally and physically healthy. If you are battling anything. I mean Addiction,self confidence, or even invasive thoughts. Please reach out to me and I will make sure you are taken care of. The fight to win the World Cup puts an insane amount of pressure on you all and especially with going so long with out contact to your loved ones it can make things a little harder. If you ever feel over come with anything please reach out to me. I want all of you healthy. I don't care iff you think that it makes you a little bitch to reach for help. If any of you need help or just a judgement free zone please email me I don't care what time. It can be 2 am or 6 pm I will always make sure all of you are taken care of and safe. I know what isolation from loved ones can do to ones self. I will be flying in your loved ones periodically just so you all can let loose because talking to them in person and through a screen are to very different things. Just know that none of you are alone no matter what you are going through or battling. Now from here on it we will focus on banding together as a team I don't care about your clicks or anything like that. For the next 5+ months you are each others family. Please hear out all of your teammates and don't judge. This is how we will win if our bond runs deeper then the pitch. You all are great players once you all link up and unite as one that is when it gets devastating for our opponents. Is that understood?"

"Yes coach."

"Please remember all that I have covered tonight and never be afraid to reach out. With that said you are all released. Have a good night and stay safe. Tomorrow will be in the weight room. Oh. I actually have some news before you all leave that I thought would be better shared in person rather through email."

"Are you leaving us?" Pugh questions.

"No. I am still your head coach. I just wanted to say that I've reinjured my knee. I do not know the full extent of the injury. I'm trying to put off going to the hospital since I don't want to jump the gun and stress myself out over nothing. Depending on how bad the injury is you might be taking direct instruction from my assistant coach. You will listen to what they say and any adjustments they make. I don't think it is too bad of an injury but because of the damage my knee has taken with my previous injury and the ones before that, that never got the chance to fully heal, it might be worse then just a sprain. I'm going to ice and let it rest after tonight. I'll try and be present but if not I don't want any of you to take it personally this was an injury of my own doing."

"If you don't mind me asking what happened to make you reinjured it?"

"I had woken up a little late and rushed to get to the gym. In the process I left my knee brace at the hotel. I was doing heavy back squats and the weight had made my knee buckle I kept trying to push through it only for me to do more damage to it. So use me as an example if something hurts stop. If something doesn't feel right in your body stop. Don't push through everything trying to prove yourself. I don't care if you look like a sissy do what you need to do to preserve your body. Being pro athletes put an unreasonable amount of stress on your body whatever you can do in your off time to help recover do it. Let's try and preserve your career for as long as we can. Unless you have any other questions you all are free to go."

"Why don't you want to just go to the hospital and get a scan at least?"Becky speaks up from her spot in the back.

"I've never had a good relationship with the hospital. And I don't want to have to leave the team for more time then needed."

"Why don't you ask one of the trainers for some pain killers. You look like your in a lot of pain?" Jane states.

I see Kelley peak up in her seat and stare at me awaiting my answer. "I don't use painkillers." I try to deflect.

"Why not?" Ashlyn asks.

"I'm gonna be fully honest with all you here. Since I've told all of you this is a safe space I hope this helps reinforce this and because this will probably be a news headline in about 1 weeks at max-"

====+
17 likes and the next chapter goes up.