53

The kids wait excitedly to see their mom and Kelley only to see their mom carrying Kelley through the door almost ignoring the kids completely. She tucks Kelley in after removing her of her shoes and socks before leaving her room to make some food for herself. She comes face to face with Brett and Ansley.

"What happened to Kelley momma?"

"She's just having a tough day. She'll be good tomorrow. Let's just show her love tomorrow and make her feel welcomed."

"Okay momma." The two kids replied not knowing what exactly that meant but they both loved Kelley so this would do all they could to keep Kelley around longer.

The three Woodly take their spot at the dinning room table and eat a modest dinner of Rice and ground beef since it was the quickest thing they had in the fridge.

"So how was the team?" Ansley questions.

"They are good. The game this week is at home. So you all get to come. You'll get to watch us beat the Seminole's. Hey Brett you excited for baseball?" I question excited and scared. I want him to play the sport he loves but the baseball season runs right through my coaching season so I won't be able to make all of his games. And I remember as a child how devastated I was when I would look to the sidelines for my
Parent only to find them not in the crowd.

"Yes."

"That's awesome. Ansley you excited to try out for your middle school team?"

"Our team is supposedly really good." She states anxious.

"And you are really good. And a hard worker. Remember the saying. Hard work outworks talent when talent doesn't work hard." She nods and goes back to eating.

"How was school today?" I ask both the kids.

"It was fun. Mr.Tyler took us out for ice cream after school." Brett fesses up as I turn to Ansley who gives him a playful punch to the shoulder.

"Brett Mr.Tyler told us not to tell momma!" She whispers or attempts to whisper to her brother.

"It's okay. I'll thank mr.Tyler the next time I see him. Oh Ansley do you know how well you did on the math text you were stressed about?"

"I was told I did good but I won't get my actual test back until Wednesday." Okay. Well you know our agreement every 90 or above you get to choose we're we have dinner." She nods.

"Can i be excused?" Brett questions.

"Yes. Put your plate in the sink before heading up to be. Remember you have school tomorrow so no late nights." He nods and heads into the kitchen to do as I told him to do so before heading to his room.

"Can I be excused momma."

"Yep. Put your plate in the sink then head upstairs I'll be up to tuck you all in." I say finally glancing at the clock to find it a little past 10:30.

She does as told before I head to the bedroom to see if Kelley has woken up. She is awake sitting with her back against the headboard. "How are you doing Kell?" I question the defender wanting tog at a feel for her headspace.

"It's just surreal. I never thought this day would come and so I guess I'm still I shock."

"Would you like something to eat? I made rice and beef."

"I'll go make myself a plate."

"Do you wanna watch a movie?"

"Like in the living room?"

"Yeah. It's not like we're going to watch 50 shades of gray or anything but I just think it would do us good."

"Im down."

"Well let's get you a plate and I need to tuck in the kids."

Kelley nods and gets out of bed as I head out of the room and towards the kids as she heads for the kitchen.

I walk to bretts room first since he's closest to mine. I knock twice and wait for his okay.

"Cmon in momma." His voice echos through the wood. I carefully pull open the door and walk to his race car bed.

"Goodnight bug. I love you. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight momma." I kiss him on his forehead and pull up his sheets before leaving his room and entering my daughters. I complete the routine and head back to the living where Kelley is immersed in a phone call. I stay behind the wall. "Look Erin I'm in NC I can head down if needed!"

"No erin I couldn't of been in Georgia at the time because I was at the hospital and then I was on a plane."

"Look Erin I'm not going to fight you. I know missed her passing. I'm sorry but I Pilsner of been there. No one even told me she was in the hospital."

"Oh now you're blaming mom for not telling me!"

"Please just don't contact me for a week. I need to digest this."

"No erin I'm not drinking."

"Wow you all think so lowly of me. So mom didn't want to tell me since she thought I would drink myself to death this time. Good to know. Don't contact me again  and tell mom to do the same. I'm over this." She hangs up the call and breathes out.

I walk into the kitchen after hearing the one sided conversation.  I walk up behind Kelley and wrap my arms around her waist. "I'm sorry Kelley." I breathe out as she leans into me.

"I'm so tired of how low they think of me. They walk on egg shells around me like I'm going to pull out a flask and start drinking every time something even mildly controversial comes up. I'm so tired of pleading my case to them."

"I'm sorry. I'll always have your back. Do you want to take a rain check on the movie?"

"No I need something to distract me for a moment."

"Okay. What do you wanna watch a comedy?"

"Sure." I nod before unwrapping my hands from her torso and heading to the living room. I settle on a movie neither of us had watched and started it as Kelley joined me on the couch about 10 minutes in after finishing her food. I hold her close.

I want to protect Kelley from everything and it hurts knowing I can't do anything to save her from some things.

Me and Kelley are out like a light before the movie ends.
=====
Go check out my new book how not to date a pornstar.