37

"So I called this meeting to explain what happened last night. I will take no questions." I address the 27 players who have all gathered in the room.

"Last night I was informed that my wife- ex wife had passed away. I fell asleep and then fell into a nightmare. The first time she had ever choked me. My wife was abusive, physically, verbally, you name it she's done it. I couldn't breathe and then when I couldn't move my hands it freaked me out and I woke up. I guess I head butted Abby and then I ran." I take a breathe to stop myself from crying.

"I tell you this not to make you pity me but to stop possible rumors. The kids don't know and I would wish to keep it that way before I sit down with them. And with that said you all are dismissed." I wave them out as I go to the corner of the room and take a seat.

I just want to be alone today. I send out a text to the position coaches asking they take over practice today. They respond quickly with a yes. I shut off my phone and start to cry.

It's all my fault that the kids will never get to see their mother again. If only I was a better wife. If only I fulfilled her needs the kids would have their mother but no I was to selfish.

I start to spiral in my thoughts as someone holds me from behind. I turn around and bury my head into their neck as they just hold me and rub comforting circles on my back.

I melt into their embrace as I cry out my emotions. After about 30 minutes my tears start to taper as I pull my head away from this mystery woman's neck.

Look up once I've pulled I see the mystery woman to be Tobin. I wordlessly stand up and help her up to. I point to the door indicating she needs to leave.

She nods and starts walking to the door. Once her hand hits the door she stops and looks at me. "Just know I'm always here for you Bryn." She states before leaving.

Why would she comfort me, didn't I just tell her to stay the hell away from me like yesterday.

I'm just trying to get over my ex and now she walks in here like a-a I don't even know the word and tries to get with me. I think the fuck not.

But she also has the softest lips and her arms are perfect and I sorta want to stay in them the rest of my life if I could.

I quickly remind myself that it could not happen under any circumstance as it would be an abuse of power.

———

Right before practice I get the kids back from Amy.

"Hey guys there's something I need to tell you and you might hate me and I'm okay with that. But I need to tell you guys it okay?"

They both just nod a little scared at what my confession could hold.

"So you know how I told you mom would be gone for a little bit?"

They nod again. "Well umm she isn't going to be back." I say as the white leaves Ansleys  face and Brett just looks confused.

"What do you mean momma, mom would never just leave us!" He shouts defending his mom.

"She didn't leave you guys by choice. Umm she passed away." I say rubbing the back of my neck. Brett cries while Ansley keeps her face blank.

Ansley is going to take this the hardest as one she's known her mother longer and before her mother got wasted every night like the last few years of our marriage she and her mom were very close.

Brett just climbs into my lap and cries as Ansley just stares at me with a surprising amount of hatred.

"I want to go home!" Ansley states.

"I'm sorry I can't do that, this is my job."

"So what I'll live with uncle Matt?" She says now having a solution for everything.

"Ans Matt moved away a year ago."

"So what I can live with one of my friends!"

"I don't want you in a country that I'm not in. If you get in trouble or injuries I can't just drive their and help you."

"Whatever all you do is control me and Brett."

I want to scold her on talking back to me but I understand that she just lost her mom and is angry. I just happen to be the person she wants to take her anger out on.

She walks to the empty and gets under the covers before falling asleep. I rock Brett slowly as to not wake him.

By the time the team comes back im asleep as well as the kids as we've all had emotionally trying days today.

=====

Really short chapter but I figured I would give y'all something