September 3 Kickoff

"Looks like you're cleared to return to work," the doctor told Daphne. "You've graduated back to weight bearing but you need to continue wearing the hard brace for the next couple weeks. Then we can reevaluate and see if therapy will be needed."

She breathed a sigh of relief. It's been agonizing having her parents do just about everything for her. At 29 years old Daphne was very much an independent woman who forgot what it was like to depend on others for even the simplest things. "Thanks Doc!"

Daphne walked back out to the waiting room, minus her crutches, to find her mom reading a book. "Well, what'd he say?" Daphne looked at her mom with a straight face and asked, "good news or bad news first?" Her mom became worried and furrowed her brows. "Alrighty then we'll just rip the bandaid then. Bad news, your baby is fleeing the nest again because I'm goin back to work!" she laughed out.
"Good lord child! Don't freak me out like that again," Laura swatted a hand at her daughter's shoulder. "I can't with you."

"You love me," she said with a smirk. "Only cause I have to," her mother replied with a roll of her eyes.

Station 6

"Hey Chris, you got a sec," the chief called out.

"Sure. What's up chief?" Chris walked in and shut the door of the office behind him.

"I need a favor. I need to move you around a bit. One of our medics needs to take an indefinite leave for a while so I'd like to move you and Hayden over semi permanently to our EMT team. Hayden has already agreed. You up for it? Y'all work best with each other so I'd like to keep you together," Chief Parrs says.

Chris stops and thinks for a moment. He genuinely doesn't have a problem with it but he likes to mess with the chief. "I don't know sir. I mean I must be a great actor if you think Hayden and I are a good team. I've been meaning to talk to you." Chief Parrs looks at Chris and sits forward leaning his forearms onto his desk. He quirks his eyebrow at Chris. "Well," Chris starts, "ya see sir." He looks down at his shoes. He looks side to side and rubs his hand over his beard. Chief Parrs is becoming more anxious. "I'm just bustin your balls, sir," Chris laughs. "Yeah I'm good with it," he tells the chief. "Funny Evans. You're cooking dinner tonight before shift," Parrs howls back.

Chris chuckles and jumps to his feet. "I've had worse punishment sir." Chief Parrs stops him, "oh by the way y'all have Friday Night Lights duty tonight as well." Chris nods his head.

Friday Night's in a small town means only one thing: High School Football. It's a great time to be had by all ages. You've got the young children that show up in their Pop Warner jerseys. There's the high school freshmen just trying to be noticed by the upperclassmen. The seniors living out their best days of their youth. The college kids home for the weekend. You've also got the crowd that come back to try and relive their "Glory Days." All in all a fall Friday night well spent.

Chris parks the rig just outside the field house gates. He and Hayden make sure their walkies are on as they walk towards the entrance. "Evenin Hayden," the man at the booth says. "Ready for the season?"
"Sure am George. Hey, this is my new partner Chris. Chris this is George. He's the Dean of Students here at West Side," says Hayden.
"Nice to meet you sir," said Chris while shaking the man's hand. "You're not from around here are ya son?" George asked. Chris chuckles, "no sir. I'm originally from the Miami area. I've only been here a couple months."
"Well, welcome. We'll work on that accent soon enough," George replies with a wink. "Y'all go on in free of charge. Take care of our boys if anything happens."

The gentlemen walk over to the benches just off the backside of the track that outlines the field. They're standing on the visiting team side.

"This will be a great opportunity for you to scope out the local ladies my friend," Hayden said only loud enough for Chris to hear as the marching band were getting in place. Chris cut his eyes over at Hayden standing next to him.

Now, if there was ever a man who didn't realize how attractive he actually was it would be Chris. At six foot even with dark hair and a lean but muscular frame he was a definite head turner. Often times he was oblivious to the looks he received from females around him, young and old. At 31 years old he often joked that he was married to his job when someone asked if he was single. In all honesty though, he was ready to start another chapter in his life. It was all a hopeful part of his plan when he moved to the area.

"Let's focus on what we're here for okay," he responds. Hayden shrugs his shoulders as he turns his attention to the teams coming out on the field. Now technically in a small county you probably shouldn't be biased but Station 6 was housed in Callahan so it's only right to cheer for the hometown team. Both men begin clapping as the West Side Warriors run out on the field.

Just about fifty feet to the left of the men stands Daphne and Oliver. "Let's go Warriors!" Daphne yells loudly. She claps along with the teams fight song as it is the same as the one she heard during her many years at Florida State. The song brings back many memories and a smile to her face, and maybe a bit of adrenaline too. She smiles as she tries to remember the motions from her time as a Warrior cheerleader.
"Take it easy there sis. We don't need you breaking something else," Oliver reminds her. He can't help but laugh as he watches his sister attempt the arm motions while trying to keep her lower half still. "Let me know if you need to sit."
Daphne glares at her brother. "I've been practically immobile for close to a month. Let me be bubs."
Olive groans at the nickname. "Okay fine but at least the medics are here if you trip over your own feet. Hey, I think that's Hayden over there," he motions with his head.
"You're asking me like I know who Hayden is."
"Oh, sorry, he's Hazel's cousin," Oliver replies. "I'm gonna go over and say hello. You want to come?"
Daphne puts her finger on her chin and taps it. "I'm thinking, no. I'm gonna focus on the kickoff. You go though, I'm fine."  

  Oliver puts his arm around Daphne's shoulder and gives it a small squeeze as he turns to walk over to Hayden. "Look what the cat drug in. How'd you manage to pull Friday Night Lights duty?" He asked Hayden.
"What's up man? How ya been?" Hayden throws his arms out and around Oliver for a quick bro hug.
"Not too bad, not too bad. Did you hear the news?" said Oliver. "Bout you making an honest woman out of my cousin? Sure did," Hayden laughed.

Daphne turns her head as she hears laughter so loud that it can be hear over the announcer calling out the plays. There's Oliver laughing in jest with the man that she can only assume is Hayden. But then her eyes fall on the handsome brunette next to him. He casts a look her way as she quickly ducks her head back towards the field.