December Part 2

Chris POV

  I tuck the positive pregnancy test back into the wrapper before tiptoeing over to my dresser. I quietly pull open the grey drawer, moving aside my t-shirts and socks to reveal the tiny Converse sneakers I purchased months ago. Daphne still thinks I sent those to Carey when in reality they've been sitting here, waiting for this moment. I carefully place the pregnancy test beside the shoes and cover them both back up before sliding the drawer back in place.

  Turning back towards the bed I can't help but feel my eyes beginning to glass over as I take in my bride. My wife. Now, the mother of my child. The mother of my child. The thought alone makes my heart soar to a greater height than I could've ever imagined possible, and I've not even said the words out loud yet. 

  I move to turn the lights out in the bathroom before grabbing my hoodie and moving out of the bedroom. Soundlessly I slide the backdoor open and take a seat on the porch. My happiness becoming too much to control now I sit and cry, every tear representing a prayer for this moment and a praise that it has come to fruition. 

  I want nothing more than to wake her up and tell her, but Christmas is just four days away. She joked about how I'd top last year's gift. I think this will definitely do it. I just have to make sure she doesn't try and go looking for the last test before then. 

  Once I've thought of a couple of ways to make that happen I decide I think I can control my emotions now. I pull back the covers on my side and gingerly slide into the bed next to Daphne. I move closer to her, intertwining our legs before I start to wrap my arm around her waist like normal. This time though, I stop myself and place my hand on her lower abdomen.

  "I love you," I whisper as my thumb caresses where my child rests. 

~~~~~

  "Babe, I'm sure you are tired but you can't cancel on your mom," I attempt to say assertively even though I really want to tell her that yes she should in fact be getting as much rest as she possibly can.

  "I don't really care anything about our baking day this year. I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a book. Why can no one understand that?"

  "But this is your Christmas Eve tradition with her, Hazel and Rene right?" 

  "What's your point?" she huffs over the phone.

  I need a really good point considering that I still haven't told her we're expecting, and can't tell her why she's feeling the way she's feeling. "You're suppose to bring cookies to the station remember?" I know that statement is playing with fire but I'm hoping she goes to her more compassionate side and not her angry side over the fact that I'm working Christmas day this year.

  I hear her sigh and start to shuffle out of bed. "Fine," she huffs. "I can't guarantee I won't fall asleep mid stir though."

  "I'm sure little Milo and the girls will make sure you stay awake."

  "Maybe I'll take baby duty instead so I can nap with him. I've always enjoyed napping when the girls would fall asleep on my chest," she admits, sounding wistful. 

   It takes everything in me not to spill the beans right then. I'm suddenly thankful for the alarm going off. "I've gotta go. I'll see you tonight, love."

   "Praying for you," she says just before I hang up.

~~~~~

Daphne POV

   "Anyone want to go with me to deliver these?"  I stack the platters of Christmas baked goods on top of one another as I prepare to take them over to the station.