February Valentine's Day

Third person POV

  Rarely did Chris have a significant other during February's most popular holiday, Valentines Day. But this year he didn't have a girlfriend, he had a fiancé to spoil. Unfortunately he was working a double shift on the actual day so he and Daphne were celebrating the night before.
"Can you tell me anything about tonight?" Daphne asks as she's driving home from work. She notices the line go quiet. "Chris?"
"I'm here. Trying to decide how much to tell you," he laughs. "Let's see... Don't dress up but maybe not too casual either. And bring a jacket or sweater."
"That doesn't tell me much," she says in response.
"Sorry, babe. It is what it is. I'll see you at 6:30," he tells her.

Chris POV

I went to our property before picking up Daphne so that I could set everything up. I'm sure this won't beat the night of our engagement but it'll be special none the less.
I knock on her door first just as a courtesy but I use my key to unlock the door and go in. I can hear her rustling around in her bedroom. "It's just me," I call out to her so she doesn't freak out when she hears my footsteps.
"Sorry! I'm running a little late. I know you're shocked," she tells me from her bedroom door.
I chuckle because she's almost always running late for our dates or outings. But tonight I take advantage of it and place the small Valentines cards around her house where I know she'll find them throughout her day tomorrow. One by the coffee pot. One in her school bag. I already placed one in the front seat of her car. I even place one in the fridge by the creamer for her coffee. Luckily I finish just in time as I see Daphne round the corner into the living room.
"You look beautiful," I tell her.
"Is this okay? I mean not dressy but not casual doesn't help me much," she says as she wraps her arms around my neck. I hold onto her waist and greet her with a kiss. "It's perfect," I let her know.

  I lead her out of the house before she can notice any of the surprises I've left for her

I lead her out of the house before she can notice any of the surprises I've left for her. Opening the truck door I offer her my hand to help her. I don't think I'll ever get use to the fact that her hands are always cold. "Cold hands, warm heart," she tells me. She has the warmest heart of any woman I've ever met. In fact she reminds me so much of my own mother. They say guys look for women similar to their mom.

While cranking the truck she asks me if I will tell her anything else about the evening. "Ya know, curiosity killed the cat," I remind her as I pull the truck out of her driveway.

As I drive through town I listen to Daphne tell me all about her plans for her student's Valentines party the next day. She's gone all out for the kids and I know they'll love it. I love that she lights up when talking about 'her babies' as she calls them.
"They'll be going home on a sugar high I'm sure," she says. "Wait. I figured we were going into Jacksonville."

I just smile and keep driving to our property. Our property. Our home. Our life. 'God, thank you for this woman,' I think to myself offering praise.
"Are we going to see the progress?" She asks animatedly. "I haven't been able to go by in over a week."
"I thought we might take a look. Together this time," I say acting hurt that she goes by without me. She doesn't know I come by almost everyday.
I pull into our driveway and go towards where the house is located about an acre back from the road. Placing the truck in park I jump out. Daphne follows me.
"Oh my gracious! There's walls!" She cries out in disbelief.