February: Decisions Part 2

TW- mentions of blood

Chris POV

The rest of the evening goes relatively smooth. Daphne is still experiencing pain from the gas traveling in her chest and some nausea. Laura offered to bring her daughter soup for dinner thinking it would be easier on her stomach. She tells us she'll check in again in the morning via text.

At around 8 pm Daphne says she's ready to go to bed. I help her off of the couch and guide her to her room like I did several weeks ago, being ready in case she feels weak and has difficulty standing. I'd offer to carry her but I don't want to jostle her.  She climbs right into bed since her mom helped her into pajamas earlier.
  "I'll be on the couch if you need anything," I tell her as I give her a simple kiss goodnight.
  "Cuddles, please," she says with a pout.
I can't say no to that. I climb in next to her as she comes into my side, resting her head on my chest. Again I find myself running my fingers through her brown hair. She asks me to play soft music so I pull out my phone and connect to a playlist.
  I stay put until I hear her breathing even out. Carefully I pull myself out from under her. Just as I'm about to stand up from my place on the bed I hear her tiny voice. "It's bad isn't it?"
I sit on my knees by the bed with my arms on the mattress. I gently push her hair back from her face. Her eyes are still closed as I see she's almost out again. "We'll talk in the morning, my love." I leave her with a kiss on the forehead.

  Back in the living room I make a phone call to Chief Parrs requesting a few days of leave. I don't feel right telling him all of the details when even Daphne herself doesn't know them yet. I just let him know her recovery will be longer than first assumed.
I text Laura and let her know Daphne is asleep for the night, after seeing that she asked how things were going. I also let her know that I told Daphne we'd talk about it in the morning but in her sleepy state asked me if it was bad.
After cleaning the kitchen and letting Dodger out one last time I check on Daphne once more before calling it a night myself. I stand against the doorframe to see she's sleeping peacefully, a serene look upon her face. I return to the living room and find my place on the couch with Dodger at my feet. I long for sleep, a few moments in which I don't have to think about breaking my fiancé's heart.

~~~

Daphne POV

  I'm startled awake by a dream in which I feel like I'm falling. Not the kind where you trip off of the curb but a full on falling from a cliff. The kind in which your scream is stuck in your throat. You flail about but there's no one to catch you, no one hears you, you're alone falling into an abyss. I blame the pain meds.

I hear a rush of footsteps coming to my door. Two heavy feet and four soft pitter patters. Rolling carefully onto my side I see that it's 4 am. "Are you okay?"
I nod my head yes and start to sit up. "Just a dream I guess."
Chris looks at me with sad, tired eyes. "You were screaming, Daphne." He walks over to sit on my bed next to me. Dodger has already found his spot at the foot of it.

I assure him I'm okay but that I do need to use the restroom. I can move a little easier than yesterday so once I get to the room he leaves me to get my dose of medicines. Upon removing my pajama bottoms I discover I'm covered in blood. I remember the nurse mentioning that this would happen, I just didn't realize to what extent.

"Hey Chris," I call out. "I need you to stay out for a couple more minutes. Oh, and can you close the door?"
I hear the door shut and exit the bathroom to find clean pajamas. "You okay in there?"
"Yeah. I just forgot about this part of it. Definitely more blood than I imagined. Luckily it didn't get on the bed," I say as I redress. "Can you grab a towel from the hall closet?"
"Sure," he says. "Ya know a heating pad may also help. Do you have one?"
"Should be in the hall closet too. Might have to dig around for it," I tell him as I open the bedroom door again. He tosses me the towel as he continues looking. I place the towel over my spot in the bed and sit back down. "Sorry, it's unorganized."