June: Baby Love

"Are you serious?" Chris asks, a tone of excitement in his voice.

   Daphne nods her head, both joy and fear rising from deep in her soul. She looks back down at her hands and the item it holds.

  "I'm not sure I believe you," he says as his eyes shine brightly. He moves across the station's kitchen to join Daphne.

Daphne had come straight to the firehouse after she received the call. Her heart rests in her throat as she tries desperately to hold back tears. She swallows down the urge to cry again as she shows Chris an image on her cell phone.

He takes her phone into his hand, smiling ear to ear as he sees the photo of his nephews, Mikey and Evan, holding a pink onesie with the words "Little Sister." "I'm getting a niece!" He says. "Why didn't she call me?"

Daphne puts her phone away into her purse. "Carey said she tried but knew you were working today.  She and Hazel must be pretty close in due dates for her to already know it's a girl. She had to have known at the wedding, but why wouldn't she have said anything?"

  "Carey never tells until 18 weeks at least," Chris informs her. "I'll be right back."

Daphne POV

  I take a seat at the table, thankful for the moment that no one else is bustling around this particular area of the station. I am  genuinely excited for Carey. I love how thrilled Chris is for his sister. But my heart aches that I am still coming up with negative tests of my own.

  I haven't even told Chris about the pregnancy tests. I haven't had a cycle since the small bit of spotting and cramping right after our honeymoon. I thought for sure that I was pregnant. But after multiple negative signs I gave up on the thought.

  I look back at the images from Carey. The sonogram picture just came through. This one makes it harder to stifle my tears but I do it anyways knowing Chris will walk back in any second.

  'Speaking of the gorgeous devil,' I think as I take in my long legged love sauntering back to me. "Did she send you the sonogram?"

  I lift my phone to show him just as he shows me the same. "Guess you sent your congrats?"

  "Of course! She says the boys are thrilled about another baby, but still getting use to the idea of a girl," he chuckles. "I'm not sure any of us know what to do with a girl after two boys." He looks over at me, finally pulling his eyes away from the image, "guess it's a good thing you came along since you've got nieces."

I put on that familiar (to me) fake smile. "All part of the master plan I suppose."

We have a healthy, very active, sexual relationship but it's still not happening. I keep getting told to give it time, just wait, but when your chances are already well below half, wait and see doesn't feel like the greatest option.

"Just a small piece, babe. Definitely not the whole reason," Chris assures me. He knows me well enough to tell that I'm getting a little down on myself just from my comment alone. He brings my eyes to look directly into his before resting his forehead on mine. "Our time will come. Patience, okay?"

I had been doing so well holding in my emotions but here they come, pouring out from my eyes as I try to swallow the sob that has reached my throat. "I'm happy, I promise I am. I love your sister, dearly. Just every new pregnancy announcement reminds me of my own chances," I tell him, letting most of my issues be known. 

  "My shift ends in thirty minutes. I want to take you out," he tells me, gently wiping my tears away.

  "You don't need to do that," I say. I shake my head no while also trying to make myself stop this ridiculous outburst.