May (Part 2)

Chris POV

"Is this the last of them?" I ask Daphne, picking up another box from the last stack in her classroom. She gives me a thumbs up from her rocking chair, her hands resting on her stomach.

  I load up the last three boxes into the back of the truck, which is now completely slammed full of items from her kindergarten classroom. I close up the  bed of the truck before going back into the classroom. 

  When I walk back in I see Daphne wiping away at the tears that have just began streaking her face. "Babe, you okay?" I ask tentatively, knowing that this is a difficult time for her.

  "Just thinking about how this job played such a big part in us," she says wistfully. She points over to the line of cubbies along the wall opposite from her. "Seems like you were just over there, leaning back against them in your uniform, telling me about how your  mom was a teacher. If you hadn't have been here that day as a community helper, who's to say we would've ever met."

  "We would've still met," I assure her.  She asks me to continue, feeling very confident that we would not have crossed paths again.  "I would've gone to every single high school football game until given the opportunity to finally speak to you." I cock my head to the side. "Or I'd have let Dodge off his leash to run up onto your porch during one of our walks."  I walk closer to her, offering my hands to help her stand up from the rocking chair. "You and I," I hold her hands in mine, "were always meant to be." 

  Daphne's hand reaches up to rub against my newly shaven face. "Always, huh?" 

 I give her a quiet nod, enjoying the light touch of her hand against my cheek. "Yes, ma'am," I whisper quietly before giving her forehead a kiss. "Now, I do believe if we're done here we need to hurry home, unload and get ready for the rehearsal dinner." I pull her hand away from my face and lead her towards the classroom door. I push it open, taking a step out but stop when I feel Daphne turn away from me.

  "Farewell room 202," she says aloud to the room that is now completely stark with the exception of the small round tables and tiny chairs. She turns back to me, her bottom lip beginning to tremble. I let go of her hand, only to pull her against my chest, holding her as she closes the door on her career. 

Daphne POV

  "Oh my aching feet," I whine out as soon as we are back in the truck leaving the rehearsal dinner. 

  "That bad?" Chris teases as I groan pulling my heels off. Which unfortunately is proving to be a much more difficult job than I imagined.

  "Is it possible for my feet to have just attached themselves to the shoes? Like grown into each other in the last two hours?" I'm trying my hardest to tug them off, and having zero luck.

  "I'll take care of you when we get home, sweetheart," he offers kindly, picking my hand up and kissing my knuckles. 

  "Are you still upset that Hayden had you shave for the wedding?"

  "Not once I found out it was actually Charlotte that requested it," he chuckles. "If it had really been because of Hayden I'd get him back, but for the bride I'll do whatever she wants."

  I stare back at the handsome man sitting next to me, driving cautiously to get us back home safely. "How are you even real, Evans?"

  He smiles back at me. "What do you mean?"

  "You're like the perfect man. Have I just been dreaming the last year and a half? Am I in a coma from my accident with a very vivid imagination?"  I suddenly hiss in pain as the baby rolls harshly in my stomach.