September

Daphne POV

"Tell me something good Doc," I plead with him.

It's the Friday afternoon before Labor Day. This was the earliest we could reschedule our previous August appointment. I still haven't had a regular period and was hoping that the three pregnancy tests I'd taken just happened to be false negatives.

The look on his face isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies and I'm losing hope of hearing good news. Who am I kidding? With Chris being on the truck now we've had a lot less time to be intimate. It's highly unlikely that I'm pregnant.

"I have some concerns," Dr. Kallen starts as he takes a seat across from me. "You should be having a normal cycle by now. Are you under any new stress?"

I chuckle quietly. If he only knew. "Probably no more than usual," I lie straight through my teeth.

"Well, with not having a full cycle I'm not sure you're even ovulating, Daphne. If you're not ovulating then you can't get pregnant."

"Oh." I suck in a breath. I wasn't expecting that at all.

"There are things we can do to see if you're ovulating. There are ovulation tests you can pick up at any pharmacy. You take one each day. If you're ovulating it'll tell you. That's when you'll want to make sure you're um, intimate, with your husband." This man has had his hands all over my ovaries and uterus and yet still comes across reserved as he informs me of when to be sexual with my husband. He makes a few notes in my file. "I'd like you to do that for the next month and then we'll go from there."

"And what if it never says I'm ovulating?"

"We'll cross that bridge when and if we get there." Dr. Kallen stands to shake my hand, excusing himself while I make myself presentable again.

I exhale as I hop down from the exam table. I go behind the curtain and change out of the paper gown, redressing in preparation to leave.

On my way out I schedule an appointment for October with the hopes that when I return there will be better news.

Before I pull out of the parking lot I check my phone and see a message from Chris.

Chris- I'm on my way home. See you in a few.

I didn't tell Chris about the appointment today. In all honesty it had completely slipped my mind since we've not spent a lot of time together recently.

Me- okay. I'm finishing up some errands. I'll be there in a bit.

First stop is the pharmacy. I grab a months worth of test strips. Using self checkout to avoid any questions from the prying eyes of small town life.

Next stop is grabbing dinner. I have an idea that I think will go over big so I pull into the grocery store to grab all the ingredients necessary.

I notice Chris and Dodger sitting on the steps of the front porch, waiting for me, as I pull up the driveway. I tuck the ovulation strips into my purse since it's practically a small suitcase and can be hidden from sight.

It takes no time for the long legged man to reach my door. He opens it only to pull me up and out, enveloping me with his strong arms. "I've missed this," he whispers against my ear.

I breathe him in and slowly exhale. "I've missed you." I hold him tighter, feeling like I can't get close enough.

I let him hold me for a little longer before I remember my dinner plans. I pull back slightly, tickling his sides gently with my finger tips. "I have a surprise for you," I tease.

"Oh really?" Chris narrows his eyes at me.

I nod, knowing he's going to be shocked. I open the back door and start to pull the grocery bags out. "We're having ice cream sundaes for dinner!"

He looks back at me, his eyes dancing, surprised by my spontaneity. "I love it!" 

   Chris takes the bags from me, his smile wide. "Well, I have a surprise for you too."

"Oh really?" I say repeating his earlier curiosity.

"Really." He stands still for another moment before walking back towards the house.

"Well?" I call after him.

He ignores me and continues into our home.

"Christopher!"

I can hear his laughter the closer I get. "You know you can't do that mister," I scold.

He sets the bags on the counter before loading the freezer with our dinner options. "Well?"

Continuing to ignore me he lays out the toppings on the counter before finally turning around. He leans against the counter, resting his hands on the counter top behind him.

"I'm getting impatient here."

Chris smirks at me, enjoying this way too much. "I'm trying to decide if I should make you work for it."

"You know I have my ways." I walk closer to him.

"I know. That's why I'm having a debate with myself." He cocks his head to the side, still thinking.

   As I reach him I put my arms around his waist. He doesn't move to hold me. I place small kisses along his neck before reaching his jaw. As I reach his stubbles cheek I run my tongue flat against it, swiping up. I turn to run, laughing hysterically as I hear him. "Oh come on!" 

   I make it just far enough into the living room before he pins me to the sofa, tickling my sides. He leans down to tickle my neck with his scruffy face. "Stop! Please, stop!" I manage to gasp out amidst his attack.

   "Never," he grins at me before returning to his attack.

   I desperately try to fight back with my own tickles but each time I try he maneuvers away and manages to find a new spot on me.

   "I thought you said you had ways of making me talk.  This is not what I had in mind."

He slows down his assault, giving me a moment to catch my breath. "I know exactly what you had in mind. And the nights not over yet."

He sits upright on the couch, pulling me onto his lap. Chris pushes my tousled hair away from my face before bringing my lips to his. He hums into the kiss before pulling back. "So..."

I hold his face in my hands. "So?"

He takes my left hand and places a kiss against my palm before repeating the same with my right hand before placing them on his cheeks. "I'm off all weekend."

My eyes grow wide as a smile takes over my face. "Seriously?"

He nods.

"Seriously?"

He laughs.

"Seriously!"

He stands, lifting me up with him. He walks us both to our bedroom and drops me on the bed. "Seriously," he says before closing the door to keep Dodger out.