September 20 Dinner

There it is, out in the open. The one thing that had turned away every previous suitor: wanting to wait until marriage. No one had actually ever asked about the ring, maybe because they weren't actually paying attention. No, the pursuit of her heart would end as soon as she would stop a wandering hand. She'd be called a tease, a prude and that no man would ever give her what she was asking for.

Daphne stilled herself and tried to keep her breathing even. As strong as her conviction on the topic was she couldn't make herself look at Chris. In fact she found herself dropping her hand, crossing her arms over her chest and shuffling her feet. "So, if you want to, um, we can just go back to the truck and you can take me home." Chris looked at her confused. He gently took her face into his hands cupping her cheeks. Carefully he pulled her to look at him. "First off, we're on a date and it's not over. Second, I don't question someone's convictions. They're personal and they have them for a reason. Finally, and please hear this, I'm hungry and I hear this place has great salmon," he says as he watches her smile grow. By the time he said the last line her smile had reached her eyes. "There it is, that gorgeous smile. Now," he lets go of her face and holds out his hand, "I wasn't finished holding your hand. May I?" With pink filling her cheeks she places her hand back in his large one. Giving it a small squeeze they continue their walk to the restaurant.

  Once the hostess seated them, Daphne takes a good look around. It's small and quaint with a small open  patio in the middle covered by sky lights.  Twinkle lights are hung around the restaurant accompanying the small votive candle sets placed in the middle of the tables.

  "I don't think I've ever seen such a cute restaurant before," she says.  Chris, unable to hold it in says, "not as cute as you." 

  "Oh my, sir, the cheese factor of that one," she laughs out. 

  "Couldn't help but speak the truth, cheesy or not," he winks.

   While looking over the menu they're joined by the waiter dressed in a crisp white button up, black dress pants and a black vest. "Good evening, Mr and Mrs Evans. I'm Jack and I'll be your waiter this evening." 

  "Oh, no we're not married. This is actually our second date. Well, maybe more like our first. Can brunch be considered a first date?" Daphne rambles. Chris finds it adorable.

  "Really! Well, I'll have you know, I've had several first dates come back married later," Jack tells them.

   "That's really interesting," Chris says noticing Daphne nervously playing with her cloth napkin, a tinge of pink returning to her cheeks.

   Chris orders the salmon dish with rice and fresh asparagus. Daphne decides on the filet with potatoes au gratin and green beans. They continue learning more about each other while sipping on iced tea in wine glasses. 

  "What made you decide to come to North Florida? I've heard South Florida is gorgeous with all of the beaches and being so close to the Keys."

  "Well, the only family I had left down there was my dad. He passed last year from cancer. My brother and sisters had moved away shortly after each finished school. I felt like I didn't have a reason to stay there anymore. It held a lot of tough memories. I've told everyone it was because it was too fast paced and crazy of an area but that really never bothered me.  I found it increasingly difficult to keep going into the ER where my dad died. Taking patients into the same room where he took his last breath...it just became too much. So my brother, who lives in Fernandina, mentioned that the west side of the county had an opening and I jumped at it." 

  Daphne listened intently. Men don't normally open up as quickly as women so she was pleasantly surprised at how open Chris was being. "That was a big decision, to uproot yourself like that. It couldn't have been easy." 

  Before Chris could offer up a response Jack came walking over with their meal. "Enjoy," he states as he backs up from the table.

"Tell me more about your decision, if you don't mind," he asks Daphne as he takes a bite of salmon.

'This is a first,' she thought. "You're uh, the first guy to ever ask me that. It wasn't anything that was shoved down my throat or even that I was told not to have sex until marriage. It truly was my decision. I know a lot of people despise 'purity culture' and there are some definite downfalls. I just really want to only be with one man. I believe sex provides an intimate connection through not only the physical but emotional too. I know how cliche it sounds but it's a part of me that I can give to just one and I want that to be my husband."

"I admire that," Chris informs her. "In today's world, that's almost unheard of. It would definitely be easier to give in to ones desires. You're pretty amazing Daphne." She looks down at her steak and pops a bite into her mouth hoping to hide the sweet grin that crosses her face. 'He can't be real, he just can't,' she thinks.

They both finish their meals in a content silence, each mulling over words the other has said. Just as they place their silverware on their plates Jack joins them. "How about some dessert?"

Leaning back in her chair Daphne puts her hand to her stomach. "I couldn't eat another bite."

"The check will be fine, thank you," Chris tells him.

"Thank you for today. It was a complete surprise and by far the best date I've ever been on," Daphne says with a genuine look in her eyes. Chris returns the look with a smile and takes her hand in his as they rest on the table. Jack returns, breaking up the sweet moment. He's carrying not only the check but a small to go box. "Enjoy this when you're both ready," he says with a smirk. "And if this goes anywhere, be sure to come back and tell me. I want to keep my record up to date."

Chris, with a chuckle, places cash in with the bill and tells him to keep the change. "We'll be sure to do that," he says as they make their way to the door.

This time Chris doesn't ask to hold Daphne's hand. He envelopes it into his own as soon as they step onto the sidewalk. Daphne can't help but look at her fingers laced with his, heart beating faster. She casts a glance up to his face and finds him looking at her, adoringly. She can't help but grab onto his bicep with her other hand, holding him closer.

The journey home seems too short. Neither of them ready to say good bye to each other. Chris parks the truck and turns off the engine but keeps the radio playing. "What are you doing?" Daphne asks. "I seem to recall a bit of dessert we were told to share," he responds. "Good point," she says opening up the box that includes two forks.

"Pecan pie. I'm not sure it can beat my Granny's but I'm willing to give it a chance," Daphne tells him.

Chris has already dug his fork into the pie. Daphne follows suit but soon sees Chris offering her his bite. Opening her lips and taking the bite she can't stop the sound that escapes her lips. "Oh wow. Granny's pie can't cut it with this."

They continue to enjoy the pie while the radio plays. Looking over to his right, Chris notices a small bit of filling on the corner of Daphne's mouth. "You saving that for later?" He asks pointing to her lip. "Whoops! Cant take me anywhere," she says as she licks it away. "I'm a real mess when it comes to ribs or boiled shrimp." He just smiles at her as he lets her know he looks forward to witnessing that.

A song comes on the radio that Chris can't ignore. Moving the to go box onto the dash of his truck he hops out of his seat. Daphne looks over at him confused. "Come dance with me. Slide over and come dance with me."

Scooting across the bench seat she takes his hand and carefully steps down out of the cab of the truck. He continues to hold her hand as she puts her other on his shoulder. He gently places his hand on her waist.

Under the darkening sky full of sparkling stars they shared their first slow dance to 'Keeper of the Stars.' Chris begins to sing along during the chorus. "I hold everything when I hold you in my arms." Listening to his sweet voice Daphne places her head on his shoulder and allows herself to melt against him. "Soft moonlight on your face, oh how you shine. It takes my breath away, just to look into your eyes." Lifting her head off his shoulder she glances up at him. He lowers his head so that his forehead rests on hers.

Song mentioned: Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Byrd