May: Father Figure

Chris POV

  My heart is in my throat as we pull up and see the red Chevy truck face to face with a semi.

  "That's not..." Hayden starts.

  "I think it is," I respond before he goes any further with his statement.  Hayden and I share a look.  "We do our job like always," I tell him.

  We grab our gear before heading to assess the accident. Officer Watkins meets us and confirms our fear. "It's Chief Parrs," he tells us.

Shattered glass covers the cab of the truck along with the surrounding asphalt of the road. The entire front of the Chevy truck is pushed into the cab. I swallow down the bile that is rising in my throat as I realize that the Chief's legs are completely crushed. The steering wheel sitting against his chest. I radio for the station to dispatch a second team as we'll need more hands for the trip to the hospital.

  We set to work, treating it no different than any other accident. However, we both know how serious this situation is.  I feel for a pulse. "Pulse is faint, breathing shallow."

  The firefighters from Station 6 begin quick work of cutting away as much as they can so we have easier access. When the bottom of the cab is cleared away from his legs we have a closer look. His legs are completely maimed, bones crushed into nonexistence. If he comes out of this alive, I know he won't have use of his legs.

Hayden and I both work as quickly as we can with the help of Will, one of the others that just joined us. His partner Nathan is checking on the driver of the semi. "There's no time for a full eval. Let's get him loaded!" Will brings over the gurney and in no time he's loaded into the back of our rig.

As Hayden drives, Will and I work on Chief Parrs. I can tell Hayden is driving faster than we normally would, the rig shaking more than normal.

~~~~~
The back of the doors open up revealing myself giving chest compressions as the Chief lost his pulse about two minutes before we reached the hospital.

I continue the compressions, standing on and riding the rails of the gurney as they wheel him through the ER doors and into a bay. Once the team is in place I step back and let the nurses and doctors work.

  "Has someone called his wife?" I ask as I lean against the wall, trying to catch my breath.

  Hayden joins me. "Officer Bailey went to pick her up. They should be here any minute."

  "I think I'm gonna go clean up," I tell them. Really I need to walk away before I lose myself in front of them. I walk over to the restroom just outside the waiting room doors. Splashing cold water in my face I try to keep my composure the best that I can. But then it hits me. Chances are beyond slim that the Chief isn't going to make it. I slam my fists down on the countertop and will myself to keep it together. I stay there, leaning against the counter for a few more minutes.

  Once I feel like I can keep my emotions in check I open the door. There's a sudden shriek followed by loud crying. Looking to my left I see Mrs. Parrs being held up by two officers. I turn to my right and lock eyes with Hayden. He quietly gives a small shake of his head before dropping his gaze to the ground.

   I hear a doctor telling Mrs. Parrs that they did everything they could but the damage to his legs and the internal bleeding was too much for his body to overcome. My stomach drops.

~~~~~
Daphne POV

"Come on Dodge, time to go in," I call out to the pup from the back porch. We had just watched the sunset and the first of the stars come out.