November: Vacation

Chris POV

   I'm woken up by soft whimpering. It takes me a moment to gather my thoughts. It's not Daphne that I hear, she's sleeping soundly, head in the crook of my neck. It's not Dodger who is curled up asleep. But then I realize it's Milo's crying that I hear coming through the baby monitor next to our bed. Daphne hears it as well and begins to move off me, tossing the covers away.

   "I've got him," I whisper as I place the covers back over her, giving her a kiss on her forehead. While putting on pajama pants I catch a glimpse of the clock as it reads 2 AM. I'm careful not to disrupt Dodger who is fast asleep at the foot of our bed.

   We had placed Milo's bassinet in what we hope will eventually become a nursery. As I walk past the kitchen I glance down on the counter at the list of times for his feedings and see that he's very close to another and realize that's probably why he's crying. 

   Upon opening the door I begin my rhythmic shushing until I reach him. "Hey little buddy. Ya hungry? Hmm?" I first decide he needs a diaper change and set out to complete that before heading into the kitchen with him to heat up his bottle. Luckily I'm pretty good at maneuvering things with just one hand as the little man occupying my left arm watches intently as I move around the kitchen.

   Once we are set, I head back into the room and sit in the rocker that use to belong to my own father. Milo appears grateful when I bring the bottle to his mouth, suckling quickly.

   I find myself humming softly as he finishes off his bottle and I wrap him up again. I take a few extra minutes to rock him back to sleep, letting my mind wander to having this experience with my own child, at some point. The thought warms me from the inside.

Daphne POV

    "Have you seen my Panthers hoodie?" I call out from our bedroom as I hear Chris and Dodger come in from the backyard.

   "Did you check the hall closet?" he asks.

   "Not yet." I'm running around between our bedroom and bathroom, frantically realizing several items I had forgotten to pack.

   "Would this be what you're searching for, ma'am," my hunk of a husband says walking into our room holding up the red hoodie.

   "My hero," I say as I reach out to take it. He pulls it out of my reach. "I believe there is something you're forgetting. A method of payment for my skills, perhaps?" I rise on the tips of my toes to give him a peck on the lips. "Better?" I ask.  "It'll do for now," he responds with a wink.

   A knock on the door interrupts our back and forth. "It's open," Chris calls out. Hazel and Oliver walk through, looking refreshed.

   "How'd it go?" Hazel asks as she heads straight for the bassinet we'd moved into the living room this morning.

   "It went great! He got up three times during the night and was wide awake at 6," I tell them both. "But, better yet, it looks like you both got some much needed rest yourselves."

   Oliver speaks up this time. "A glorious, uninterrupted, twelve hours of sleep. We were out at eight last night," he laughs. "And thanks again to both of you we also enjoyed a nice, hot breakfast before coming over."

"Glad we could be of service," Chris says. "I wouldn't mind making it a regular thing, maybe a couple times a month at least, assuming my schedule allows it."

I look back at this amazing husband of mine, knowing full well that he is just as ready as I am to have our own little family, and yet still feel my stomach flip at his sweet words. He glances at me to see my reaction. "I'm in, just tell us when."