October 8 Homecoming

"You get to experience one of my favorite days of the year! The whole town shuts down for the high school homecoming," Daphne squeals. "This is your first chance to experience it so we have to do it right!"

Chris laughs at her delight over the phone. "Yeah, the guys here at the station have been telling me it's a big deal. They're using both fire trucks in the parade so I'll be driving one of them but I'm not covering the football game so I'm all yours in the evening."

"Be careful driving that engine. They are always full of the cheerleaders tossing candy out to the kids," she tells him.

"Babe, I've been driving rigs for several years. I think I can drive it 5 miles an hour down a 2 mile radius without any hiccups," said Chris.

"That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the Senior girls who won't be able to take their eyes off of you."

"No worries in that department either," he tells her. "Have you seen you? Teachers at the school pick up their jaws when you come by. It'll be much worse with the cheerleaders, trust me, I was one," she sasses back to him. Glancing around the locker room to see if he's alone, "any chance you've still got that uniform packed away somewhere?" he asks mischievously. "I beg your pardon sir?" she asks him knowing full well she heard exactly what he said. "That is not something you want to see."

Right as Chris is about to correct her the station alarm sounds. "Gotta run babe. I'll see ya tomorrow," he says quickly before hanging up.

~~~
All of the schools from elementary through high school go all out for homecoming. We're talking spirit days, decorated hallways, decorated floats for the parade and even a huge bonfire.

The elementary kids are probably the most enthusiastic other than the high schoolers. When the town shuts down for the parade all of the elementary teachers take the students out to the bus loop to watch the parade. Teachers get the opportunity to see previous students they've taught and the little ones get to see what they have to look forward to as they get older.

  It's right at one in the afternoon as the principal comes on the intercom giving the go ahead for the kindergartners to go out in preparation for the parade. Daphne leads her students out. One of the bright spots of teaching the youngest group is they always have a front row seat. Within ten minutes the whole school is out waiting to hear the sounds of the parade.

  Just a short distance away they start to hear the marching band. The closer they get the louder they become. The children are clapping along to the song being played. Next comes the football players in their jerseys with war paint on their faces. They wave to the kids and toss candy their way.

  Suddenly sirens are heard loud and clear, bright lights flashing as the fire trucks pull in to the loop. Daphne sees Hayden in the first truck and waves. She looks at the second rig locking eyes with Chris. Once the truck is in front of Daphne's class Chris tosses out a single red rose and blows her a kiss.  Picking up the flower and rejoining her students Daphne is suddenly stopped by the principal. "Well, well Ms. Jeffries. Looks like you caught a little more than candy."  Daphne can't help but smile, holding the rose against her lips as she breathes in the fragrance. 

~~~

  Hearing a knock at the door Chris jumps off the couch to open it. In front of him stands a gorgeous brunette with brown eyes covered from head to toe in maroon and gold. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" Chris asks her. "It's game night baby!" Daphne says loudly to him while waving her pom poms. She's even adorned her cheeks with temporary tattoos of the Warrior mascot.  Chris can't help but double over in laughter at the spunky girl before him.  Dodger joins in with a howl. Daphne reaches down to give him love, "I wish you could go with us buddy but it's going to be packed. Speaking of we should head out or we'll be parking a couple blocks out."  Grabbing the truck keys of the near by hook Chris ushers Daphne back through the door and goes to lock it.
  "Hang on handsome," she says stopping him. "You gotta change."
  Chris looks down at his attire: cargo shorts, red shirt and converse sneakers. "It's a football game. How am I not dressed appropriately?" 
  Daphne gives him a look as if to tell him he should know the answer to that. "I'm serious Daph. Help me out here," he asks laughing. 
  "Red," she simply states.
  "Red is a color, yes you're correct," he responds. "Same color family of what you're wearing in fact."
  Rolling her eyes and giving in she says, "red and white are the opposing teams colors. I can't be seen with you if you're in red." 
  "Thanks for telling me. Still got a lot to learn around here."
  "Stick with me Evans, I'll keep ya in check," she smirks. Pushing on his back she shoves him back into the apartment to change. He returns wearing a black v neck t-shirt. "This better?"  Daphne chooses to answer by giving him a peck on the lips. As she pulls away Chris pulls her back in by her hand and gives her a proper hello. "Not once have I stopped thinking about you today," he says as they pull apart breathless.
  Daphne tries to steady her breathing as she looks into his eyes. 'Well, that wasn't the smartest plan,' she thought to herself as her heart rate increases. Grazing her fingertips over his chest she takes a step back. "We should uh, we should go, yeah."