April: Surprise!

Daphne POV

It's Wednesday evening, just days before the wedding. Looking all through my closet and bedroom I just know I'm going to forget to pack something important.
"I know I'm going to forget something, Chris,"
I say out loud towards the phone sitting on my dresser.
"If you do we'll just buy whatever you need," he states giving a simple answer. "I'll be there in five minutes to pick you up. Love you."
"Love you too, bye."

I go back to my list and analyze it for the hundredth time. All of the most important items are checked off: wedding dress, shoes, veil, rings, etc. Then I look over the second list. The packing list for the honeymoon. I think this one gives me more anxiety than the wedding list. It didn't help that Rene saw the list and said it was missing something. She then proceeded to write LINGERIE across the top, big and bold.
I followed the list, including Rene's addition and packed meticulously. Chris still hasn't given me all the details but he did say pack for warm weather, bring my passport and include some dressy clothes. While he didn't fill me in he did tell my parents. Mom then chose to take me shopping for some "fun and sexy" dresses as Rene and Hazel insisted I would need them. I'm not a fan of being in the dark with details and I'm thankful it will all come to light in a few days.
  Taking the wedding list back in my hand I walk into my second bedroom. Hanging from the top of the closet door is my wedding dress. Thankfully there were few alterations needed and actually it included taking the dress in rather than out. I unzip the bag that is holding it and gently run my fingers over the material. A dream dress: check. Dream guy: check. Dream wedding: I hope so.
  Hearing the keys in the lock I quickly zip the bag back up. We've decided to be as traditional as possible with the wedding so Chris won't see it until I'm walking towards him.
  "Babe? You ready?"
  "Almost!"
  In the process of walking out of the bedroom I'm met with my gorgeous fiancé still in uniform. I lean up to kiss him hello. "Why are you still dressed?"
  He gives me a strange look and I know I'm about to be red in the face for my choice of words. "You've had a hard enough keeping your hands to yourself, can't imagine if I was naked, but okay if you insist," he says as he untucks his shirt and acts as though he's going to pull it off.
  "Stop you goober! I meant why are you in uniform," I ask.
  "I've got to go back in a couple hours to help cover some of Mike's shift," he says taking off his cap to run his hands through his hair.
  I look at him slightly dumbfounded. "We leave for Savannah tomorrow. You're going to be exhausted. Why did you agree to take part of his shift?"
  Chris pulls me to him by my waist. "Because Mike is the one picking up my extra shifts so we can have a longer honeymoon." He kisses the tip of my nose. "I won't be too tired. I'll get home around 3 in the morning. We can't check in at the hotel til 4 in the afternoon so we don't need to leave until around one."
  "I guess. I just don't want to feel rushed leading up to everything we need to do," I tell him.
  "You won't be rushed, that's why we're going up tomorrow. Everything will be fine, I promise. Now we need to head to your parents for dinner. We were supppse to be there like fifteen minutes ago." 

~~~

  Family dinner tonight is not as calm and collected or as relaxed as usual. The stress of a semi destination wedding is stressing my mom out. Parents of the bride is very different from parents of the groom. Mom is worried about family traveling and wondering if everyone will find the location when they arrive. I try to assure her it will be difficult to miss an outdoor wedding in the middle of town. But I also know I get my worry wart status straight from my mother.
  "Laura, I promise the rehearsal is all set as well. I spoke with the pastor again earlier today. We won't be able to do a full walk through since the area isn't technically reserved until Saturday but we'll make it work," Chris tells my mom doing his best to calm any fears or worries. But he knows she's like me and chances are it brings no comfort.
  Mom just simply nods her and looks back at her list. Like I said, I get it honestly. "What about the rehearsal dinner?"
  "We've included everyone that's coming in Friday but there's really not many outside of the wedding party. We are doing the dinner cruise through Savannah Riverboat Cruises. No muss, no fuss. We can all just go and enjoy the evening," I remind my mom.
My dad comes to our rescue. "Laura, it's all under control. Let the kids enjoy their last moments of peace before the adventure begins." He moves towards mom to give her a reassuring embrace. "It's all going to be fine."
It dawns on me. Right at this moment I realize I'm marrying a man that is so similar to my own father. A man that knows exactly what I need and when I need it. Knowing when to back off and when to push. When yo comfort and when to leave me be. I cast a glance at Chris to see he's looking back at me. It's as if he knows exactly what I'm thinking at this moment.
  My moment or realization is interrupted as I hear Ollie yell out in excitement. We rush to the living room where both of my brothers and their family are sitting. "What's going on?" I ask alarmed.
  Oliver looks at Hazel who just walked into the house holding something. She gives him a nod. "So, turns out Hazel didn't have a stomach bug. Well I guess maybe you could look at it that way for the next 9 months. We're having a baby!" He yells out as Hazel holds up a sonogram picture.
  Everyone starts calling out in excitement and offering congratulations. It's a joyous occasion for any family. I have tears in my eyes as I hug my brother and sister in law. Chris reaches over and pats Ollie on the arm offering up a "congrats man." Rene leans dow to tell Sarah she's getting a little cousin. Mom and dad are over the moon excited to welcome another grand baby. As a family we relish in the news.
  My dad takes a moment once everyone has stopped talking. "What a joyous time in our family! Today we find out a new baby is coming and this weekend we gain a son. God is truly blessing us."
  While I'm incredibly excited I feel an ache that I push aside as I feel Chris put his hand on the small of my back. I turn to him and crinkle my nose and smile, wiping away my tears.

~~~

We head back to my house as Chris begins his next shift in an hour. After pulling into the driveway I don't make a move to get out. Chris reaches over to take hold of my hand.
"Daphne," Chris says as he sits in the driver's seat of the truck. "Talk to me."
"What do you mean? I think it's great," I say as my eyes fill again. "I'm going to be an aunt to a third Jeffries baby." Of course now it dawns on me that I was silent the whole ride home.
"I know you're happy for them but there's something more, I can tell," he says turning the key and turning the truck off completely.
"It's silly," I tell him, shaking my head side to side as I wipe my eyes again.
Chris looks at me intently. "I'm sure it's not. What is it?"
"I feel ridiculous. I had an actual pain in my chest when they announced it because it's not me. And then I got mad at myself for feeling that way," I say in such a way that I'm chastising myself again.
Chris pulls me to him across the seat. "We don't know that it won't be you. It takes time. But first we have to actually have sex in order to start the process," he laughs lightly as he points out the obvious reason why it's not me.
"That's what I mean! I'm ridiculous and it's so stupid for me to feel this way."
Taking hold of my chin with his thumb and finger Chris kisses me softly. "You are neither ridiculous nor stupid. I know why you felt that way and it's okay. I bet we'll get to have our own moment one day, just like Hazel and Oliver. But until then, I'm going to enjoy these next couple of days as we watch our relationship change together." He now holds the side of my face with the palm of his. "I can't wait to marry you, Daphne."
I close my eyes, satisfied in this moment, thankful the he knew I needed to talk out my feelings. Thankful that he understood my feelings and didn't see them as outrageous. Thankful that in just a few days he'll be mine forever.