June (Part 1)

Daphne POV

  "I swear! I'm going to claw my skin off!" I yell from my spot in our bedroom. My entire body feels restless and nervous. An entirely horrible combination for someone who really can't do anything to make themselves feel better.

  It's been two weeks since my overnight in the hospital. The first concern was pre-eclampsia, but I left the following day with strict bedrest orders and a new medication due to preterm labor. 

  The medication to stop contractions is no joke. While it does its job well, it wreaks havoc on my body. An obscene amount of issues that I'm not sure I'll be able to endure much longer. 

  I hear the pitter patter of paws crossing the hardwood floor of the living room. They disappear as Dodger reaches our bedroom and jumps right onto the bed. I scoot from the side of the bed to the middle so he has room to lay next to my belly, which has become his favorite place. He notices my rubbing my arms harshly with my hands, trying to find relief. He gives a small bark which brings Chris into the room. 

  "What was that?" he asks as he walks in holding another very large cup of water.

  "Apparently, he's the only one listening to the fact that I'm going to rip my skin off," I snap at him. 

  Chris gives a nod and reaches for the cocoa butter bottle from the side table. He squirts a bit into his hands and motions for me to put out an arm. He rubs the lotion into my arm, from wrist to shoulder alternating pressure from gentle to hard giving me a bit of relief from the restlessness that sits in my limbs. 

  Apparently I not only  have the hottest husband in the world, but the most considerate. Thank you, universe.

  "I hate this medicine, Chris." I'm speaking between anger and whininess. 

  "I know, babe. But we've got to keep her in there as long as we can. You're only 32 weeks. This is only the third time you've had to take it since we got home. That's good," he offers up his professional advise. What I want is my compassionate and sympathetic husband. 

  The Terbutaline is not only causing restlessness in my limbs but has also caused drowsiness but with the inability to sleep. And the headaches. It's a big pain in my butt is what it is, but I know it's all for the best for our little Juniper. 

  Cooking a bun in my oven is turning out to be a lot more difficult than I ever could've imagined.

  When Chris finishes with my arms he moves Dodger off to the other side of the bed before pulling back the covers. I shift slightly, moving from my left side to my back. I can't stay this way for very long because of my blood pressure, but for a few minutes it won't make too much of a difference. He sits down, pulling my left foot into his lap before he adds more lotion to his hand. I close my eyes and try to focus on the strength of his hands and allow myself to imagine that he's actually pushing the nervous feeling out of my limbs. 

  A small moan escapes my lips at the incredible feeling he's giving me, but apparently it startles Dodger and causes him to begin barking and giving a small growl towards his dad. I lift my hand to calm him down by scratching behind his ears. "It's okay, bubba. Daddy isn't hurting me." I breathe a sigh of relief as Chris now moves to my calf. "In fact, he's making mama feel really, really good," I drag out the last really causing Chris to chuckle.

  "You can't be making sounds like that, Daph. If not for Dodger, then for me," he says with a smile. 

  Dr. Kallen has not told us to not be intimate with one another, but between bedrest and inconsistent contractions, we've both decided that the extent of our intimacy will have to make due with just laying naked with one another, enjoying the closeness that it brings. 

  That is not to say that I will not be ready and willing to jump my husband as soon as I am cleared after our daughter's birth. 

  "Your mom is gonna be here any minute but until then, is there anything I can get you before I leave?"

  I sigh and roll my eyes. 

  "What was that for?" he asks, his brows furrowed.

  "What I want, you won't give me," I remind him.

  He's really curious now. "What is it you want?" He leans over me, his face a couple inches from my own. 

  I lick across my lower lip before biting it gently. My husband, is intoxicating.

  "Hmm, Daph? What is it you want?" he smirks before placing a tender kiss to my lips.

  Two can play this game, sir.

  "To get out of this bed!" I pout as his head drops with a smile. 

  "No can do, love." He stands up straight again, pushing his hands into his uniform pockets. "Your job right now is to keep our girl safe and sound in her little home there," he points to my belly that is covered by the summer nightgown I'm wearing.  

  My face scrunches up with a scowl even though I know he's right. "I'm just so bored, and sore, and huge, and uncomfortable." I can feel tears beginning to prick my eyes, and I do my best to swallow them down.

  This pregnancy is all I ever wanted. All I've longed for my entire life, and yet I do my best to enjoy it, always feeling like I'm coming up short on that part. 

  Chris sits on the edge of the bed, leaning over towards my stomach. He lifts my gown up to show the round ball that holds his daughter. He brings his lips to rest on my belly, placing a sweet kiss just over my belly button. "Juni girl, are you listening?" He waits for the small nudge she usually gives him when he's this close to her. When he feels the tap just below his lips he continues talking. "Be nice to your mama." 

  I chuckle lightly, the threat of my tears turning into a smile as he gives our unborn baby instructions.

  He looks up at me. "She's the only one you're ever gonna get."