Entry #130 7/4/21

Dear reader,

Today is my mother's fifty fourth birthday. So I decided to ask her personal questions that I am curious to ask. These are her answers;

1. What did you learn throughout the years that you want to impart to your children?

-To be strong all the time. Always put your feet on the ground, and do not depend on others, rather depend on yourself.

2. What are the things you are grateful for at the present?

-Of course the gift of life and good health. All the material things in life, power and fame will be gone soon. Inag mamatay naka ulod ray bahala nimo.

3. How do you cope up with the struggles you've experienced in the past?

-Stay positive, failure is a part of life. If you failed or fall, you have to stand up, move, and start a new beginning. If you failed again, stand up again and again, until you succeed.

4. What were your struggles as a mother when it comes to raising children?

-A lot of struggles, you knew it.

5. What makes you upset with your children?

-Ha ha ha, what makes me upset? Ug dili motuman sa ako gi sugo

6.What keeps you motivated to reach your dreams?

-I am always self-motivated, even when I was a child. If I want something, I work hard to claim it. If you dream, you have to set your eyes on the goal and go for it. Patience and perseverance are important virtues in life.

***

I am so grateful of the relationship me and my mother have. I am very honoured to be able to ask her these questions. And I am so thankful for her presence.

Though there are times when we don't meet each other half way, and she upsets me, but I wouldn't trade her for someone else. She may not be the perfect parent, but I look up to her in so many ways. For me, she is a success story.

My mother is someone who keeps me motivated. She showed me that you are never too late to achieve your dreams. Because she is a proof that when one door closes, you can open the windows and pave your own way to success.

When my mom's leg got broken, it felt like the whole world sunk. Her legs were her freedom. And I could just imagine how trapped she must have felt when her leg broke.

I would describe her as an independent woman. And I know she hated that she had to depend on someone. So when her leg broke, a part of her freedom was taken.

But then she is always resilient. Her passion for making art, grew. And so, she may have lost a part of her self-reliance, but she regained her freedom through art.

I remember going to the prayer room in the Cathedral. I was feeling hopeless. I worried about our finances. I worried that my mom won't be able to walk on her own again.

I was looking for a reason. I would always think that things happen for a reason. But I didn't knew the answer until a few years later.

Who would have thought that my mom would develop and become a professional painter?

I vividly remember her telling us during one dinner, and I think she was still on her early forties back then, she told us that when she gets old, she wouldn't be working but rather travel and paint. Though she didn't travel, but she did became a painter. And I know, if time permits, she would also be able to travel the world after this pandemic ends.

I hope that someday I'd be like her. Someday I will watch my dreams turn into reality. And I will be able to finish writing a book and publish it.

If I just keep on going, I know one day my work would be acknowledged. In God's will.

Not yours,
-Krizia @24