ANNABETH CHASE

Annabeth took out her lunch. She was sitting across from Will, who was telling her all about his biology class.
Will tended to do that, a lot. Annabeth usually learnt more about Will's classes than her own. She'd been in gym class while Will had biology. It was one of the only classes they didn't have together. Will continued talking.
"So, yesterday my mom was like, 'Will, are you sure you wanna be a surgeon? It isn't going to be exactly like Grey's Anatomy!' Like yeah, it is!"

Annabeth laughed. "I don't blame you for wanting to meet Kate Walsh."
"Or Patrick Dempsey!"
Will kept talking about Grey's Anatomy. Annabeth looked up to see Piper McLean and Leo Valdez whispering to each other and looking at them. At first, Annabeth felt like they were laughing at them. Then they walked over.
"Hey," Piper said with a small smile. Annabeth had never had an actual conversation with Piper or Leo before. "Is it okay if we sit here? Everywhere else is taken. If not we can- sit on the floor. Or find an empty classroom."
"Of course you can." Annabeth smiled.

Piper thanked her and sat down with Leo. Leo looked over at the table where Jason Grace usually sat, but he wasn't there. "Ha," Leo said. "Hope Jason is rotting in detention."
Will bit into a sandwich. "Why'd he get detention?" Leo grinned. That grin that always made Annabeth, and probably everyone else, unsettled.
"Okay, so, Jason Grace and Percy Jackson were taking all the glory during soccer like 'boom' so me and Piper were like 'let's fuck em up' and we were like 'BOOM!' And we were better than everyone else- no offence- so then Coach was like 'ohhh good job no more detention for you!' Then Jason was like 'no you can't do that!' So Hedge gave him detention instead!" Leo was standing up now, talking with his hands, causing a few people to look over. He sat down as soon as he noticed. "Sorry."

"It was pretty cool. Jason deserved it. He kept calling me Annabelle."
"Hehe. I'm gonna call you Annabelle for now on. Or Annie." Will laughed to himself.
"I'll call you William."
"No. Let's not do that!" Will patted Annabeth's head. She grabbed his wrist. "I'm not a dog, William."

The rest of lunch passed. Piper and Leo were actually pretty funny, though Leo was very loud. He always seemed to be fidgeting with something in his hand, which looked like a toy car, or shaking his hands. Annabeth guessed it was ADHD.
The bell rang for lunch to end.
"One more class and the day's over." Annabeth looked at her timetable, then frowned. "Math."
Will smashed his head on the table with a loud sigh.
"I love math!" Leo said, jumping out of his seat.
"Dude-" Will muttered through pretend sobs.
"Hey! We're only doing geometry. It's easy!" Leo said.
"Better than Algebra," Annabeth packed her books.
"I guess," Piper sighed. "But there's also assholes in our class." She raised her eyebrows, looking over to Jason Grace's friendgroup's table, then to Percy's. Jason was clearly only back from lunchtime detention.

The fact Jackson and Grace weren't friends always amazed Annabeth. They had a lot in common, but remained rivals. Percy's group was kinder though. She'd been friends with two of the people, Grover Underwood and Rachel Dare since kindergarten. Rachel and her fell out during middle school. Grover and her stopped talking stopped talking at the beginning of high-school when Grover got close to Percy.
Then there was Frank Zhang, who seemed sweet enough. He was quieter than the others. Percy himself was always an ass. Everyone knew it. Apart from him, of course.

Jason's group was completely different. Although Percy was horrible, he was nothing compared to Grace. Sherman Yang was sat beside him. He'd bully anyone and everyone. Damien White was in that friend group, too. He tended to get into arguments with everyone. If you did anything wrong towards him, he'd be sure to get revenge ten times worse. Reyna Ramirez-Arellano sat with them, looking less impressed. Annabeth could tell she hated the rest of the friend group. She'd punched Sherman Yang on more than one occasion. But she was still friends with Jason, so she obviously wasn't a kind person.

"Yeah," Annabeth said finally, getting out of her daze. "I don't know why Jason couldn't be more like his sister, Thalia. She's way older than him, though. We were pretty close." Annabeth smiled slightly, thinking about Thalia. One of the two people who were there for her when no one else was.
"Didn't even know he had a sister." Piper said, swinging her bag over her shoulder.
"Maybe he is like her deep down," Leo said. "No one could be that dumb and confident about it."

They walked to maths together. Annabeth told Piper more about Thalia. She tried to leave out the details about how Thalia had found her after she'd ran away, but it wasn't easy.
Annabeth was surprised about how well she'd gotten along with Piper. She listened to Annabeth's stories, nodding and laughing. It was good to talk to another girl, instead of talking about Grey's Anatomy with Will again. Or worse, listening to Will talk about Star Wars. She did love him, though.
Leo was walking behind them, talking to a very confused Will. Annabeth heard Leo talking about either screwdrivers or committing arson. She didn't want to know which.
Math came and went quickly. Geometry wasn't half as hard as algebra. Who decided to add letters into math?

But school was finally over. Annabeth smiled, remembering her Step-mom and half-brothers wouldn't be home, meaning she'd have time to talk to her dad.
She walked out of the school, still talking to Piper and Leo. She was in a deep conversation with Leo about architecture. Will had gotten into his car and driven away. Annabeth seen Piper getting into her brand new car, which didn't surprise her. Obviously she wouldn't be poor. Her dad was the Tristan McLean.
Annabeth seen her dad pull into the school. "Sorry Valdez, gotta go. See you tomorrow."
She could drive, but her dad couldn't afford another car.
She got into her dad's car, setting down her bag.
"Hi, Dad."

———

Word Count: 1065

———

A/N: was writing this while babysitting, rip. Anyway, thanks for reading again:)

If you didn't read the original A/N, it was mentioned in this chapter Rachel is trans (mtf). Annabeth did not fall out with Rachel because she was trans, Annabeth completely accepts!