HAZEL LEVESQUE

A/N: doing Hazel's chapter before will's this time cause it makes more sense:)) <3

Hazel jumped into the backseat of the car, where Nico was already sitting.
"Hi!" She said. Nico handed her a Happy Meal from McDonald's, even though she wasn't really hungry.
"Tell me everything." He said, taking out his earphones.
"I mean- there's not really much to tell-"
"Ughhh. Don't be boring."
"Okay- so. We watched the movie. And talked for a while." Hazel still couldn't stop smiling. Frank was really sweet.

Still, she couldn't stop thinking about Sammy.
"Hey, I'm proud of you." Nico said with a soft smile.
"What? I didn't do anything."
"I know, but you moved from Alaska only four months ago. And you just started in a new school. I know it's terrifying but here you are."
Hazel tried not to get emotional. "Thanks, Nico."
Thankfully, he got distracted.
"Hey, look, the pet store again. If only we had a chauffeur kind and sweet enough to let us get a puppy. It's a shame we don't!"
"It's closed, Mister di Angelo." Jules-Albert sighed.
"It wasn't earlier!"
"You can ask your father for a dog."
"I did. It ended in a fight. But you're much kinder-"
"No."

• • •

Hazel got home and went up to her room. She was about to get ready for bed when there was a knock on the door. She opened it, seeing her father. It wasn't often her father talked to her or Nico.
"Hello, Hazel, how are you?"
"I'm okay, thanks?" Hazel said. It also wasn't often her father asked how she was.
"Nico and I are going for a drive. Just spending some time together. Would you like to join us?"
"Uhm, sure."
Nico and their father spending time together sounded like a recipe for trouble, but Hazel put on her shoes and went out to the car.

She got into the backseat beside Nico, their father driving.
"So," Nico said. "What did you want to tell us?"
"Hm?"
"You never spend time with us. Did someone die? Are you getting married?"
"What? No. I just wanted to spend some time with you two. I haven't been at home much lately."
"Lately." Nico muttered under his breath.

After a few minutes, their father spoke again. "So, Hazel. How's school going so far?"
"Uhm. It's been good." Hazel lied. It was okay, yeah, but not good.
"That's good."
It was silent again, as if none of them could figure out how to talk to each other. They couldn't. Hazel and Nico spent more time with Jules-Albert than their own father.
"Can we get a puppy?" Nico asked.
"No, you cannot."
"Please."
"No."

More silence. Until Hazel's phone bleeped.
"Is it from Frank?" Nico teased.
"Who's Frank?" Their father asked.
"My friend." Hazel said quickly. Nico raised an eyebrow.
"Is that the one Jules-Albert took you to see?"
"Yep."
Silence.
Hazel checked her phone, but the message wasn't from Frank. No. Octavian had found a new target.

Word had clearly been getting around that Hazel and Nico were half-siblings. Hazel didn't mind, of course. She wasn't ashamed of Nico being her brother, he was amazing. But Nico's bully found it entertaining.
Hazel could barely read the text without smashing her phone. She quickly set her phone down, not speaking anymore.  Bullying was a normal thing for Hazel. She'd been bullied in Alaska. It never really bothered her. Something told her Octavian wasn't as dumb as the old bullies.

Nico thankfully didn't notice anything was up with Hazel. He was looking out the window, seeing a couple walking a dog together. He was listing off dog names, their father continuing to say "no".

They were driving down a very quiet road when their father pulled in.
"What are you doing?" Nico asked.
"Get into the driver's seat." He said, opening the door.
"Excuse me?!"
"You need to learn how to drive."
"No- not now!"
"Nico, you're almost 17. You should've learned long ago. Hazel, you're after him."
"We have Jules-Albert!" Nico protested.
"You still need to learn."