LEO VALDEZ

"Then- then he-" Thalia wheezed through the words, unable to speak. Leo couldn't stop laughing either.
Jason sighed loudly. "Okay, Thalia. Leo doesn't need to know."
"Yes he does!" She grinned. "Okay, so, he was left alone for about two seconds and he decides to eat the stapler!"
"I didn't eat the stapler."
"You tried!"

They were in a coffee shop. Thalia, Jason's older sister, wanted to meet Leo. He already loved her. She was absolutely hilarious.
He smiled at Jason, staring at the scar on his lip.
"Then he cried for hours," Thalia continued. "It wouldn't stop bleeding. It was gross."
"Thanks," Jason rolled his eyes. "I was two."
"You were still an idiot," she said.
"Once an idiot, always an idiot," Leo nodded.
Thalia started laughing again. "I like him. Jason, you have good taste. Can't say the same for you, Leo."

Jason groaned as Leo and Thalia laughed again.
"Does Beryl know?" Thalia asked Jason. Leo knew Beryl was their mom, though he wasn't sure why Thalia was just using her name.
Jason got quieter. "No. Of course not."
"Does Dad?"
He laughed. Leo could easily sense a fight about to break out. It happened a lot in the orphanage, especially with the mention of parents.

"I haven't talked to him in years," he said. "How would he know?"
"You haven't?" Thalia asked.
"He sends me money for my birthday and Christmas. Sometimes thanksgiving. I say thanks. Nothing else is said."
"He doesn't check up on you? Ask how you're doing?"
"Thalia, he doesn't care about me. You're his daughter. I'm not his son."

Leo wanted to slip away and let them have the conversation alone, but that wasn't an option.
"What?"
"You don't look like Mom," Jason sighed. "You don't use her surname. You don't live with her. You don't care about her. Of course Dad would actually talk to you. I don't want him to find out, anyway. He's always been homophobic."
"That's not true, Jason,"
Jason checked his watch. "It's getting late."

Leo was pretty sure that two o clock wasn't 'late', but he picked up the message. "I'll get Piper to come collect me now."
"No- Thalia, you should probably go home. I mean back to Mom's house."
"Oh," Thalia frowned, but nodded, clearly not wanting to put up a fight. "Okay, I'll see you later. Good luck, Valdez. Hope to see you soon."
"See ya."

Thalia left, Jason staying silent.
"I can get Piper to come collect us?" Leo offered.
"Thanks," Jason said.
"Are you okay?"
"My family has always been fucked. It'll be fine. Thalia is going home next week."
"Don't you want to spend more time with her, then?"
"No. I have to get used to not seeing her for months again."

• • •

Piper came after a few minutes and drove them both back to her house. She nonstop talked, just like Leo. Jason didn't say much at all.

Once they got back to the house, Piper left to do homework. Leo went up to his room with Jason, who hugged him straight away.
"What's wrong?" Leo asked, hugging his boyfriend.
"I'm just tired."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah," Jason rested his head on top of Leo's.
"Then we should take a nap."
"We need to study."
"Pfft," Leo said. "I haven't studied in years. Actually, ever."
"We have SATs this year."
"That's not anytime soon."

Jason sighed. "Still."
"You need sleep."
"Okay. A short nap."
"Good," Leo kissed him. "I'm still not going to study later, though."
"Ughhh."

• • •

Leo didn't sleep, instead just lay with him as he slept. Piper walked in, said 'gross' with a smile and left. Once Jason did wake up, he seemed calmer, yet still a little off.
"Have I ever told you about my family?" Jason asked, after not speaking for a while.
"Bits and pieces."
"Grace isn't my dad's surname. I use my mom's because I hate him. He kicked Mom out when I was two. Me and Thalia, too. Got a new woman. Mom had quit acting when I was born. We moved into a small house- the house I have now. Everything was fine for about a week. Mom got lonely. Drinking was easy. Thalia took care of me," he traced his finger over the scar on his lip, as he often did while thinking. Leo remembered how Thalia said she'd been looking after him when it happened.

"She was seven then. She looked after me until she was twelve," Jason continued. "By then, I was seven. She ran away for a whole year. She came back, but was never really the same. Left for college. Rarely comes home. Mom got worse. Thalia hates her. Dad hates us. Well, he tolerates Thalia. People think I'm rich because I'm Beryl Grace's son. They don't realise what a mess she is. Yeah, I'm going to a fancy college. Dad pays for that to make his son look rich. I have to work to have enough money to pay the bills. Mom is trying. I'm not mad at her."

"Jason- you should've said something. Tristan can help you. Any of us can- I-"
Jason shook his head. "I don't want anyone's money. I just wanted to let you know about my family. I've been looking for a job in a coffee shop. I'm pretty sure they're gonna hire me. Thalia being home helped, even though she's leaving next week. It was good to see her, though."
"Oh. Well, Piper mightn't be happy about it, but you're free to stay here whenever. And if you ever need anything-"
"I know. Thank you," Jason kissed his forehead, making Leo smile. "Tell me about your family. Your mom. If you want to, of course."

Leo had to think for a minute. Not many people knew. It was a tough story to tell, of course.
"She- she was the best. Better than the best. She was beautiful, funny, kind and- everything amazing. She owned her own workshop- something handed down from her Abuelo, the original Sammy Valdez. When I wasn't at school, I'd be there, helping her. Well, I thought I was helping her. I was more so being an annoying kid."

Jason laughed. "Didn't grow out of that."
"Shut up. Anyway, it wasn't the safest place. It was late. I was outside, waiting for her to finish up. The place set on fire. Completely. I think there was a gas leak or something, cause it went up real fast. I- I tried get in. I didn't wanna be alone. I've always hated being alone, kind of. I thought she'd get us both out. I heard her scream. I tried to force my way in. Will's dad and mom saw the fire and came running. Will's dad held me back while his mom rang the fire department. I don't remember anything else, really."

"I'm sorry, Leo," Jason said.
"It's okay. I mean, thanks. When I was trying to get to my mom, I burnt my arm. Real bad. It's disgusting. That's why I usually wear long sleeves but-" Leo lifted his sleeve up past his shoulder. "I don't care much anymore. I went through pain. My mom died in the fire that gave me this burn. I wish I could see her again, but I don't think I should hide the scars I got during her death."

Jason hugged him, much tighter than before.
"It's alright, Jason. I'm used to it. And I'm okay with it. I know she's safer now."
"That doesn't make it okay."
"But it does. It's hard but it's okay. Now aren't you gonna make me study?"
"Nah," Jason said, his smile returning a bit.
"Good. I wasn't going to anyway."
"Hah. I know that," he said, then stayed quiet for a few minutes. "Leo?"
"Mmhmm?"
"I love you."
"I love you too," Leo said, not really thinking about it. He didn't have to think about it. It was true. He loved Jason Grace.

———

Word Count: 1318

———

A/N: valgrace 🥰 cuddles 🥰