PROM

[HAZEL LEVESQUE]

"Happy birthday. Again," Frank said, hugging her.
"Okay, lovebirds!" Piper pushed them apart. "We don't have all day to get ready for prom."
"But we do," Percy said. "We literally have hours. Plus Shrek isn't over yet."

He stared into the screen at Shrek 2, everyone else doing the same, fighting for spots on Annabeth's couch. Hazel laughed, having an amazing birthday, because she was with her friends. Already seventeen. That felt crazy. Only eight months ago she'd been living in Alaska with a mother, no brother, no father and only one friend. That completely changed. It felt surreal that it had already been so long since her 16th. She never expected her 17th birthday to be in New York, with loads of friends and a perfect boyfriend. She missed home. Alaska would always be home to her. But she was happy in New York, too.

"I don't care," Piper said. "Boys and Reyna. Get to Percy's apartment and get ready."
"You sure you're okay with getting ready with the boys?" Rachel asked her girlfriend.
"Oh, sure," Reyna smiled. "Sally is cool. I need Jason to do my hair, anyway. Plus, they'll let me watch the end of Shrek 2."
"Nuh-uh," Rachel laughed. "You have to make sure they get ready. You, too."
"Sure. Whatever you say. Let's go boys."

"Happy birthday, Hazel!" Jason shouted while leaving Annabeth's apartment, followed by a 'yeah, happy birthday, see you soon!' from everyone else. All the boys left with Reyna, apart from Nico and Leo, who had to stay so they wouldn't see their dates.

"That's dumb," Nico complained. "Will and I are just going with each other as friends, because he didn't have a date and I couldn't go otherwise."
"Sure," Rachel messed up his hair, making him glare at her. "Friends." She whispered quietly, so only Nico and Hazel would hear. Rachel, Jason and Hazel were the only ones who knew Nico was gay. Everyone else just knew Will had a massive crush on him, because it was obvious. Hazel suspected Nico felt the same way.

Nico pushed Rachel's hand away. "Whatever." He said, sitting down beside Leo to watch Shrek 2.
"Nope!" Annabeth turned off the TV. "Get ready!"
"OH COME ON!" They both protested instantly, standing up.
"Reyna's letting the boys watch it!" Leo shouted.
"I doubt that," Rachel said. "I told her not to."

Nico held his phone to her face, a Snapchat on Reyna's story of Grover and Percy singing that one fairy godmother song. Hazel stood on her toes to see the video, laughing.
"Well," Piper sighed. "I guess we can watch it while doing our hair and makeup-"
"That's not fair, we don't need hair and makeup and nails and- whatnot." Leo sighed.
"You are not going to prom with your hair looking like that," Hazel laughed.
"What does that mean?!"
"It means your hair is ugly," Nico shrugged.

"Hey!" Leo hit him. "Yours is worse."
"My hair is fine-"
"Nah," Hazel shook her head. "It's really not. So either get your suit on or I'll do your hair."
"Hazel," Nico sighed. "I love you but you're not touching my hair."
"Too late. I have it all planned."
"I'm terrified."
"Good!"

"So," Rachel smiled. "Who wants their nails done first?"
Piper, Hazel and Annabeth all fought their way over to Rachel in an instance.

[PIPER MCLEAN]

It wasn't often that she felt like being girly. She usually tried not to look good so boys would stop asking her out. Since 7th grade, she'd been cutting her hair with the same plastic Garfield scissors, making sure it was all different lengths. She only ever wore mascara and a bit of concealer. Sometimes, though, she felt like being a complete girly girl. Prom was the perfect time to do so.

Rachel did Piper's nails after Hazel's because 'birthday girl first'. Rachel was the perfect person for the job- Piper always knew Rachel was a good painter, but she made Piper's nails look perfect, which hyped Piper up a whole lot more.