RACHEL ELIZABETH DARE

She ran in the rain with Reyna. They were supposed to be going on a walk, which was kind of a dumb idea in late November. The weather ruined it.

"There's an arcade," Rachel grabbed Reyna's hand.
"Uh- are you sure?"
"Yeah, my hair will go frizzy if we don't go inside!" She dragged Reyna into the arcade. "Plus it will be fun!"

It was a rainy Friday evening. Plenty of people had the same idea as them, meaning the arcade was crowded. Rachel instantly preferred this idea over going for another walk.
She kept a hold of Reyna's hand. "Whatcha wanna do?"
"Make it sunny," Reyna muttered.
"Can't do that. Come on, arcades can be fun! Oo- Pacman!"
Reyna smiled. "Fine. But we're not staying too long. It's too- uhm- not my style."

Rachel really liked Reyna but they could not agree on anything. They had completely opposite personalities. Rachel preferred colourful, bright, exciting, loud things. Reyna's style was much more chill- fancy and organised. Rachel thought it was cute, though. They all said opposites attract. Rachel didn't know it was so true.

"Shit, shit, no!" Rachel sighed. "So much for Pacman. I hate that game."
"Just because you lost doesn't mean you can instantly hate it."
"Yes, it can."
Reyna laughed and walked deeper into the arcade.

"Look!" Rachel grinned. "A photobooth!"
"Oh, God," Reyna whispered.
"Come on," Rachel dragged her into the booth. "We have like- no photos together!"
They sat together, Rachel inserting a coin.

They smiled for the first flash. Then kissed for the rest, forgetting they were even in a photobooth. Reyna was the only thing in the world to Rachel. As long as they were together, nothing else mattered.

People were waiting for the photo booth, so they left together, laughing. Rachel held onto the photos.
"It's getting crowded in here," Reyna said.
"Yeah, maybe it's cleared up outside."

It had not cleared up outside. Rachel stepped outside, instantly getting drenched. Honestly, she didn't really care.
"We better run," she said to Reyna.
"My motorbike will be soaking!"
"So will I! Come on!" she put the photos into her pocket so they wouldn't get damaged, then grabbed Reyna's hand and started running.

The first sheltered place they found was a bus stop. They had to stop to catch their breaths, since they were running and couldn't stop laughing.
"So much for a calming walk," Reyna said as Rachel continued to laugh.
"I loved it. Even if I have to wash my hair when I go home-"
Reyna pushed Rachel's hair away from her face. "I still think it's beautiful."
"I think you're beautiful."
"Oh, be quiet."

Rachel smiled. "Anyway, we better head back to your motorbike. It's dark. Probably not safe."
"Yeah, you ready to run again?"
"Not really. Not like we have much choice."
Together, they ran into the rain, back to where Reyna's motorbike was parked.

Rachel quickly put on her helmet while Reyna put on hers. Rachel had gotten used to riding the motorbike. It was still hella scary, but fun. She wrapped her arms around Reyna's waist as she started driving.
Rachel let out a quiet sigh. She had to ask Reyna.

After a while, Reyna stopped the motorbike a bit outside Rachel's house. Rachel didn't want her to go any closer. Living in such a big house was embarrassing. Not the house, but the dirty money. Cutting down trees and destroying the environment was how her father made his money. Rachel hated it.

Reyna took off her helmet to kiss Rachel goodbye.
"Hey, Reyna?"
"Yeah?"
It was somehow raining even heavier. Both of them were soaked from head to toe. Reyna's braid had fallen down, making her hair a frizzy mess. Rachel knew hers looked just as bad. Yet, she'd never seen anyone more beautiful than Reyna Avila Ramirez-Arellano in that moment.
"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

Reyna jumped off her motorbike, putting her arms around Rachel. Kissing in the rain was not as pretty as it was in the movies. But it was perfect.
"I'd love to!" Reyna shouted, her arms still around her girlfriend.
Rachel couldn't stop grinning, even thought her jaws hurt and water was getting into her eyes. "Good! I mean- thank you!"
Reyna laughed. "You better go inside and warm up. I don't want you to get sick."
Rachel kissed Reyna one last time. "Okay. Drive safely. I'll see you soon!"

• • •

Rachel ran inside after Reyna drove off, still grinning, getting rainwater everywhere. She dried her hands before pulling out her phone and calling Grover. Naturally, he answered straight away.
"Rachel!"
"G-man!"
"What's up?! Excited to see me tomorrow?"
"You bet! Oh, also, I asked Reyna to be my girlfriend."
Grover screamed into the phone. Literally. "WHAT DID SHE SAY?!"
"YES, OBVIOUSLY!"

Grover demanded details. When Rachel finally hung up, she called Frank.
"Hi, Rachel!"
"Frank!"
"Yeah?"
"Are you with Hazel?"
"Yes, why?"
"Okay, well, guess what you two?!"
"What?" Hazel said.
"Reyna's officially my girlfriend! Gotta go call Percy!"
"Wait, what?!" Frank said before Rachel hung up and dialled Percy's number.

"Percy speaking. How can I help you Madame Dare?"
"I have a girlfriend." Rachel squealed.
"Ugh! Seriously?!"
"Yes!"
"I better find someone before Grover."
"Hey! What happened to 'congratulations'?"
"I'm kidding. Congrats, but we all knew it was coming sooner or later."
"Shut up, idiot!"

Rachel happy-danced around her room for a few minutes, taking the photos out of her pocket. They were slightly damaged by the rain but she stuck them up on her wall anyway. She had the best girlfriend ever!

———

Word Count: 932

———

A/N: short but sweet chapter for my favourite lesbians 🤩