JASON GRACE

The last time he saw his father in person was the day after Thalia ran away. The last time he saw his father he was seven years old. Now he was almost eighteen and his dad decides to show up to his graduation. Good way to fuck up someone's day.

The ride 'home' was silent. Even though Jason didn't like living with Beryl, his father was much worse. Maybe there was a part of his mom that still cared about him. His dad didn't care at all.
Thalia sat in shotgun, also completely silent, even though she got on better with their dad. He didn't hate her. Not in the way he hated Jason, anyway.

Once they got back to the mansion, Jason felt countless feelings of nostalgia- this was where he spent the first few years of his life. This was the place that the Graces were.. a family. Once he walked inside, he saw his dad's wife. She was technically Jason's stepmom but he'd only talked to her once. She regarded Thalia with a cold look and paid no attention to Jason.

"Make dinner," his father said to a man who Jason assumed to be the butler.
"Yes, Sir."
Even Thalia looked nervous, but she also looked more at home. She definitely didn't seem as angry as she was when she was with Beryl. Jason was the opposite- he hated his father. He hated being near him. He followed Thalia into the lounge, not sure where to go, not sure why he was there.
"Relax," Thalia whispered to him as they sat down beside each other.

Jason and Thalia's father walked into the lounge. He was kind of terrifying. Jason didn't want to talk to him- if he found out anything about Jason's life, he'd hate his son twenty times more than he already did.
"Jason," he said. "It's been a while."
"Yep."
"How's school going?"
He shrugged. "Well, it's over."
"Of course. How were the exams?"
"Fine."
"Did you get good grades?"
"Yep."
"What are you doing in college."
"I'm going to business school."

His father seemed happy with this. Jason wasn't going to business school to follow in his footsteps, though. He was going because he wanted to. He was not going to be the same as his father.
"Well, you two can go to your rooms. I'll get someone to call you down for dinner."
With that, he left the lounge.
"Our rooms?" Jason asked. "I haven't lived here in almost sixteen years."
Thalia shrugged. "There's a lot of spare bedrooms."
"I don't want to stay."
"This is a good thing, Jason. It'll only be for a day or two. That's all it ever is," she frowned.
"Mom will be worried."
"No she won't. She doesn't care about us."
"She cares more than our so-called father does."
"Shh. He'll hear. Cmon, let's go upstairs."

• • •

Thalia showed Jason one of the guest rooms, which apparently used to be his bedroom, though it no longer looked like a toddler's room. It was done up, looking perfectly tidy. Fit for a prince. Jason was far from a prince. He called Leo straight away.
"Jason! Is everything okay?" Leo said straight away.
"Uhm," he thought. "I'm at my dad's. I might have to cancel tomorrow."

They were planning on going out for dinner- post graduation celebration. However, how was Jason supposed to tell his dad that he was going on a date with his boyfriend?
"Oh," Leo sighed. "Are you safe there, though?"
"Yeah. Don't worry."
"Can't you make something up? Say you're going out with a girl?"
"He'll demand to know everything about her."
"Damn. I'll think of something."
"Okay. I'll talk later. Love you."
"Love y-."

Jason hung up instantly, hearing a knock on his door. "Yeah?"
"Dinner," his stepmother said.
"I'll be down now."

• • •

Dinner was filled with questions. Questions to see if Jason had become a better son.
"So, is there a girlfriend yet?" His father asked, sitting at the top of the table.
Thalia looked down quickly, avoiding any eye contact. She was the only family member who knew.
"Uh," Jason stuttered. "No-" then he thought about his date with Leo. "Well, I have a date tomorrow night but uhm-"
"Who is she?"
Thalia sank lower into her seat, which Jason wanted to do, too.
"Well- I'll tell you the details after. I need to get to know.. her."

• • •