ANNABETH CHASE

She hugged Magnus. "I can't believe spring break is over already."
"Yeah, I know, it sucks," he said.
Magnus' friends were packing everything into the two cars they drove to New York.
"A little help here, Maggie!" Sam called over.
"Don't call me- ugh! Just let me say bye to my cousin."
Annabeth laughed. "I can help."
"No- if you help, I'll have to help. Sit back and relax!"
"Alright, alright. So, what's the plans when you get back?"

"Not sure," Magnus sat down beside Annabeth on one of the benches outside. "Go back to school, help Mallory and Halfborn through another breakup, work in Blitz's clothes shop, go eat falafel. The usual."
"Sounds exciting. Do you have somewhere to stay, though?"
"Yeah. I've been practically living in Hearth and Blitz's for a year now. Don't worry about me."
"If you're sure."

Magnus was quiet for a minute. "I know we aren't going to see each other until summer but uhm- when Mom died, she got cremated. Her ashes are in Uncle Randolph's mansion. She used to say that when she died she wanted her ashes to be scattered. By her family. That was long ago, before the Chase family.. fell out. She rarely talked about death. Now we've fixed it, in a way. And uhm- in summer, when you're in Boston for Blitz and Hearth's wedding-"
"I'd love to," Annabeth set her hand on top of Magnus'. "One question, though. How do we get the ashes off Uncle Randolph?"
Magnus laughed. "We'll figure that out. We can call it a quest."
"Quest?"
He nodded. "Quest."

For the next while, they sat in silence, watching Magnus' friends carry suitcases from the hotel to the car. Annabeth could tell most of the suitcases were Alex and Blitz's. Over the past two weeks, Magnus' friends had become Annabeth's friends, too. She knew her friends had become his. She'd never liked her family, to the extent of running away at seven. The Chase family history was long and complicated. Sitting beside Magnus, though, she remembered that she could choose family- and she was certain who she'd choose. He was the only Chase.

The rest of her family weren't even related to her- Rachel and Grover, who were her friends in elementary and middle school. Will, who was the first friend she made in high school. Nico, who seemed so strange and untrustworthy at the start, but ended up being the most gentle and polite soul she had ever met. Hazel, who would do anything for anyone who needed it. Frank, who wouldn't hurt a fly, but could easily hurt anyone who was mean to you. Jason, who was once so pretentious but turned out to be compassionate and understanding. Piper, who was the most fun person to be around. Leo, one of the smartest people she'd ever met, even if he was unbelievably annoying. Reyna, who Annabeth never thought she'd get along with until she realised how alike they were. Percy, who was a special type of friend. That was just her close family, though. Shel, Magnus' friends, even some of the people she didn't count as best friends- like Malcolm Pace or Clarisse La Rue- they were all her family, in a way.

"BEANTOWN!" Alex shouted, making Annabeth snap back into reality. "IF YOU DON'T GET OFF YOUR ASS RIGHT NOW AND HELP-"
"That's all the suitcases," T.J grinned.
"UGH!" Alex yelled. "NEVER MIND. YOU CAN PAY FOR GAS, THOUGH."
"No way!" Magnus replied with a smile, then started talking to Annabeth again. "We've got to get going soon. Sam has dinner with Amir and her grandparents, so she can't be late for that."
"Don't worry. I'll be texting you everyday. You won't even think we're apart."
"I'm not sure if that's good," he joked.
"Hey!"
"Kidding!"

"MAGGIE!" Mallory screamed.
"God- would they let me say goodbye? But that's my cue to leave," Magnus hugged Annabeth again. "See you soon."
"Soon," she agreed, standing up at the same time as Magnus and walking over to his friends.
"Hey, Annabeth," Sam nodded. "Sorry we have to leave in such a hurry. Really, there's no convincing my grandparents. I wish you could come with us instead of that," she pointed to Magnus without even looking at him.
Annabeth laughed. "Told you I was the better Chase."
"Shut up," Magnus said to both of them. 

"Get in the car in the next five minutes or I'm leaving without you," Halfborn said, walking past them. "Oh, see ya, Better Chase."
"Told you," Sam and Annabeth said in unison.
"What have I ever done wrong?" Magnus wondered.
"Exist," Alex said, also walking to the car. "Bye, Annabeth. Thanks for showing me that not all Chases are unbelievably annoying."
"I'm going to kill you!" Magnus shouted at Alex.
"Cool! Good luck with that!"
"Guys," Blitz sighed. "We're late, now traffic is going to be a nightmare. Oh, Annabeth, make sure to remind all your friends that they're invited to the wedding!"
"Will do!" Annabeth smiled, everyone else jumping into one of the cars or fighting over shotgun.

"Okay," Magnus said. "Goodbye for the five hundredth time."
"Travel safely," she replied, giving him one last hug before he got into the car, too. She waved as they drove off, feeling sad that they were leaving, but happy that she finally found her cousin again. They could restore the Chase family together.

• • •

When she returned to the apartment complex, she decided to call in with Percy and Sally before going back to apartment six.
Tyson and Paul were there, too, which didn't surprise Annabeth. She had that feeling they'd unofficially moved in.
"Hey, Wise Girl," Percy smiled, building something out of Lego's with Tyson, Paul studying the instructions. Months ago, Percy had been complaining about Paul. Now they seemed to get along just fine.
"Annabeth!" Tyson grinned.
"Hi," She smiled. "Thought I'd just come for a quick visit."

"You're welcome to stay as long as you like," Sally smiled. "I just have breakfast on, would you like some?"
"Waffles," Percy informed her. "I love waffles."
"That'd be lovely, thanks Sally," she replied, sitting down at the table with Percy, Paul and Tyson.
"Hey, you're the builder," Percy said. "And we're struggling with this."
"I want to be an architect not a builder. But what is it?"
"We're making a warship!" Tyson grinned.
Annabeth laughed. "Leo would be better to ask about warships, not me."
"True, but hypothetically could you make a real working Lego canon?" Percy asked.
"I'm going to pretend you didn't ask that."
"Hypothetical!"

Annabeth just rolled her eyes, when a massive dog ran out of the spare room. Massive meaning abnormally big. She jumped up in shock when the dog ran over to her.
"Oh, that's Mrs O'Leary," Percy said casually. "Paul and Tyson's dog."
"Are pets allowed?" Annabeth asked, although she'd been living there her whole life.
"Pollux and Castor have a dog," Percy shrugged.
"Yeah but their dog is not that big."
"Oh well. Mrs O'Leary is cool."
Annabeth laughed. "If you say so."
"Breakfast is ready," Sally said, carrying over a few plates. "Boys, please no Lego while eating. No, these aren't for you Mrs O'Leary."
"Mom we need to build our warship!"
"You're such a child," Annabeth muttered.
"I've been living with him for almost nineteen years, trust me, he can be worse," Sally smiled.
"Rude," Percy rolled his eyes.
"But true."

———

Word Count: 1237

———

A/N: Jackson Blofis family ❤️ (we almost got the whole family now, including Mrs O'Leary. Just one person missing...........) *suspicious music plays in the background*

ANYWAY! Bye bye Magnus & Friends (for now. Don't worry, this won't be the last of them)

Also! I've been doing alright in my mocks? I haven't failed anything so far. I really thought I was going to fail Irish, BUT I PASSED! Which is like,,, really shocking. I passed maths too, thankfully. Science and Home ec I got good results in:) haven't gotten anything else back