NICO DI ANGELO

He said only a few decorations. A few in Hazel's world was a lot.
The house looked like a lighthouse. It was concerning.
"I swear if this attracts some Christmas carolling people you're dead." He said to Hazel, pushing some tinsel away from him.
"I think it looks beautiful!"

Nico was only helping her but them up because he was an amazing brother, not because he wanted to. Nope. Since he was so kind, he even let Hazel play Christmas music. (Plus it wasn't Taylor Swift for the first time ever, so, you know, it was a rare occasion).

He was hesitant, though. His father never let him or Bianca decorate for Christmas. They only had one Christmas in America, anyway. Then a week before their second Christmas Bianca died. Meaning her anniversary was coming soon. Even if his life did seem to be finally getting better, he didn't have his big sister. He could have the world but he'd never have her back.

"Are you okay?" Hazel asked. She was wearing Frank's hoodie (ahem, like always), which was way too big for her.
"Yeah, just tired. Did you finish with the kitchen lights?"
"Mhm!"
"Father is gonna kill us."
"At least we'll go out with flashing lights."
Nico couldn't help but laugh. "Joyful thought-"

"I think we should go shopping to buy more-"
"No," Nico said. "We definitely have enough."
"No we d- okay, yeah, maybe we do."
"I wish you could've met Bianca. She would've loved you."
For a minute, Hazel looked worried. Understandably. Usually, at the mention of Bianca, he would lock himself in his room for hours. Then Hazel smiled.
"I would've loved her, too."
"Everyone did," Nico shrugged.

It was clear that Hazel didn't know what to say, so Nico said something real smart like:
"Hazel, I like dudes."
Hazel replied with something real smart like:
"Same. Wait- I mean HUH-"
Nico just nodded. "That's how I knew about Jason- when you see someone going through the same thing as you, you'll notice. Well- okay, no I'm nothing like Jason. I would never like Leo Valdez."
"Nico- what? I think we need to rewind-"

Nico laughed. "Your face right now. Sorry. Uhm, I've known for a long time. In the beginning, I thought it was another curse from God. I was raised as a Catholic in Italy- I was raised being told it was a sin. Then, when I was ten, Bianca and I began school. She- she met Percy."
"Percy knew Bianca?"
He nodded grimly. "I thought he was so cool- like, his whole skater bad boy thing. For a while I thought I wanted to be like him"

Hazel stared at him with her mouth opened.
"He was with Bianca when she died,"
"What?" She mumbled, putting a hand to her heart.
"I blamed him for it- a car accident. They were simply out on a walk. I don't want to go into detail. Before, Bianca and I had a fight. She was always with Percy. She was speaking English much more often. You know I was slow to learn English. But that day, before she left, I spoke English to her. I said I hate you. Then she instantly apologised. She could never leave during an argument- it was funny, sometimes. This time it wasn't. I ignored her. I was an idiot."

[HAZEL LEVESQUE]

It felt like everything was starting to make sense. The way Nico never argued with her, even if he was right. If they did argue, Nico would apologize in less than five minutes. Those awkward stares between Nico and Percy. It was the first time Nico went into detail about Bianca's death.

"Nico, I'm so, so sorry."
He shook his head. "I don't want sympathy. I want you to know about your sister."

[NICO DI ANGELO]

"I was obsessed with this Mythomagic game- I had every figurine apart from one. Since I hadn't forgiven Bianca for the argument, she bought me it when she was out with Percy. She never made it home. Before she passed, she asked Percy to give it to me. After her funeral he tried. I threw it at him, told him it was his fault she was dead. Told him he should've been the one to die. I do think that had an impact on him. A big impact. I was delusional. I didn't really see Percy again after that. Until high-school. I hated him but the more I seen him walking down the corridors, seeing how happy his friends were with him, just like Bianca. I realized. I hated Percy Jackson. Mostly I hated myself."

Hazel kind of just stared at him. He didn't really know what else to say, apart from the truth.
"I had a crush on Percy since I was about ten years old."
"Oh," Hazel went to hug him, but he held out a hand to stop her.
"Sorry."
"Right, no hugging," she said. "I'm really proud of you."
"I don't want to make a big deal about it. I don't like Percy anymore- I was a dumb kid. I mean he's super hot. But ew."
Hazel laughed. "Not your type?"
"Yes! Exactly! That's what I've been trying to say."

"Hm, alright," Hazel thought out loud. "So, if not Percy anymore then-"
"I am not discussing this."
"Oh come on! Uhm, hmm, ehh-"
"You're irritating."
"Oh. Wait. You and Connor Stoll?" she asked.
"NO! Nooo. No. Well, he liked me. But no. No no no. Never."
"Phew."

[HAZEL LEVESQUE]

Nico rolled his eyes. "Enough, now."
"Okay," Hazel grinned. "I will stop willing you to tell me."
As soon as it registered to her that Nico was gay, she knew it was Will. It had been obvious since day one that Will was head-over-heels for Nico. Now Hazel just had to connect the dots. The painfully obvious dots.

[NICO DI ANGELO]

"Come on," he grabbed a coat.
"Uh, where?"
"Bianca's grave. I always go at this time, but it's getting dark. I do not wanna walk alone in the dark."
Partially the truth, though honestly, Nico just wanted to bring Hazel there. It was the closest his two sisters could have to meeting each other.

There was a kind of sympathy in Hazel's eyes. Gratefulness, maybe. He spent a long time pushing her away, afraid of replacing Bianca. But Hazel was his best friend. She was Bianca's sister, too.

• • •

The moon was already out when they got there, shining down on them. Bianca always talked about the moon like it was the most amazing thing ever-
Nico thought she was dumb, it was just a moon. But right there, standing at her grave, he appreciated its beauty.

Hazel and he stood together in comfortable silence, until they heard someone else. Nico life his head quickly, hearing someone get closer. Of all people, it had to be him. Nico almost laughed with the irony of it. But he stopped himself, choosing to just say hello.
"Hi, Percy," Hazel smiled.
"Oh- sorry I was supposed to come earlier. I had to work late- I can go."

He had flowers, like always. Every time Nico went to the grave there was new flowers. Nico didn't buy flowers for it, he didn't see the point. Nico, he and Hazel's dad and Jules-Albert were the only other people to visit the grave and they definitely didn't buy flowers.

"It's okay," Nico said. "How's your weekend been?"
Percy shrugged. "Busy working. Ugh and Paul Blofis."
Nico narrowed his eyes. "Lots of homework?"
"Nope. He's my mom's boyfriend."
Nico almost laughed. "Oh."
"I mean, Mr Blofis is okay," Hazel said.
"Yeah but it's still weird," Percy sighed. "And annoying."
There was something Percy wasn't saying. Something he was hiding. That much was obvious.

Nico checked the time on his phone. "We better get going. It's late. See you tomorrow, Jackson."
"Alright. See ya."
"Bye," Hazel smiled, before walking away with Nico.

Before he left, he heard Percy whispering to Bianca's grave.
'Hi, Bianca.'

• • •

Word Count: 1329

• • •

A/N: yoOOoOoOoOo NICO COMING OUT TO HAZELLL WOOAOAAH