LEO VALDEZ

Reading the room was never easy for Leo. He tended to make jokes in the worst times. He'd not understand whether people were being sarcastic or serious. But he did notice something wrong with the orphanage. Nyssa, mainly. The adults, too. Everyone seemed relatively normal, all excited for Christmas.

Leo did feel bad, since he was staying at Piper's for Christmas. Piper insisted, even though he didn't want to ruin her and her dad's Christmas. But he still was super excited. It almost felt like having a real family.

Then there was Jason. He was still afraid to tell their friends, but Leo didn't mind. Jason had changed for the better. Seeing him made Leo's day millions of times better. Apart from when Piper, Hazel, Reyna and Nico would tease him. That was annoying.

Nyssa knocked on his door. "We have to leave in five minutes, will you hurry up?"
Right, ever since he started going to school with Nyssa he had to be ready earlier because she just couldn't be late to class. Pfft, Leo was always late to the first class. Plus it was the last day before winter break.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm ready," Leo grabbed his school bag, heading for the door. "Don't you have gym first class? No one cares about gym."
"I do," Nyssa rolled her eyes.
"Weirdo."

• • •

The hardest part about keeping him and Jason's whatever secret was barely being able to talk to him. Any chance that they did get to talk were the best moments of Leo's day. Such as walking to lunch together.

"Sorry we don't get more of a chance to talk," Jason said, putting his books back into his locker.
"You don't need to keep apologising."
"I do. I just still don't know how to tell people. I don't know."
"You don't have to tell people," Leo shrugged.
"I do eventually."
"Nah. Let them figure it out. It doesn't need to be announced. Some things should just happen in their own time."
"So, you're saying that I don't come out?"
"Not if you don't want to. I never really came out as pan officially, not until last year. Everyone just knew."

Jason seemed to think about it for a minute. "That does make more sense."
"I know, I'm a genius. Straight people never have to announce their sexuality or make a big deal of it. It's normal. So it's normal for us, too."
"Normal," Jason repeated.

They sat down beside each other at the same table as always. Will was back in school, too, which was great. Leo knew he wasn't going to Texas for Christmas, which must've sucked. Still, Will seemed to be happy enough.

Meanwhile, everyone else was in the holiday spirit. Drew and Bobby were running around, putting mistletoe over people's heads. The freshmen were having some sort of a snowball fight, even though it hadn't snowed that much. Piper and Will were jokingly singing Christmas Carols, though their voices sounded good together. Leo knew they were both great singers, they just didn't show it. The 'Hermes' kids, or whatever they called themselves, were playing Christmas pranks on clueless students, which was the same as everyday pranks, only they'd say 'Ho, ho, ho' after every prank.

Leo knew that not everyone in the school celebrated Christmas. A lot didn't, actually, including one of his best friends. Everyone seemed equally as happy about getting winter holidays, though. Less stress before the big panic about SATs. Though Leo wasn't panicking. He was gonna fail either way. It was way easier to not care.

Okay, after five minutes, the whole school was going crazy with Drew and Bobby's mistletoe. Somehow, they were perfect matchmakers, but Drew was staying away from Leo and his friends' table. For obvious reasons. Their main target was Dakota and Gwen, though, which anyone could've seen coming. Once Drew finally got the mistletoe over their heads, there was a whole lot of blushing, before Dakota gave Gwen and extremely small kiss with a lot more bluhsing. Jason and Reyna were laughing, saying it was bound to happen since first grade. Leo was laughing, too, only at Octavian's face. Haha. Loser.

Near the end of lunch, Frank's phone started ringing, then he stood up.
"I have to go," he said.
"What?" Hazel asked, also standing up.
"Sorry. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Uhh," Leo said. "It's the last day of school and there's literally one class left."
"I need to go."

[FRANK ZHANG]

It was almost Christmas. He didn't want his friends to feel sorry for him. His grandmother was in the hospital and he knew she was going to die. There was no point in denying it. He'd tell his friends after Christmas- if necessary. He hated dragging other people down with his problems.

He got to the hospital as soon as possible, going to his grandmother's room. Good news: she was alive. Bad news: well, everything else. She was still sick. It was only a matter of time.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, taking off his coat.
"Shit," his grandmother snapped back.
"That's great."
Her nostrils flared. "Was that sarcasm, Fai Zhang?"
"Yes, Grandmother."
"Good. There may be hope for you yet."

Frank tried not to laugh. It wasn't often his grandmother tried to joke. She was probably being serious right then, too.
"I won't die. I choose when I die," she said.
"I don't think people can choose when to die. I don't think my parents wanted to die."
"Yes, well, people's time has to come eventually."
"But you just said-"
"Silence. How's that girlfriend of yours?"

Frank didn't think his grandmother cared at all about his social life. Or his life in general.
"Uhm, Hazel, she's okay."
"I'd like to meet her. See if she's good enough for a Zhang-"
"Hey, she is. Even if you don't think so."
"Okay, sure, I want to meet her."
"Uhm- maybe someday." Frank shrugged.
"Well if it's not someday soon then it'll be in hell." 
"Excuse me?"
"Just let me meet her," she snapped.
"Alright," Frank nodded. "Soon."

[LEO VALDEZ]

In the weirdest way, he felt sad when the last class ended. Usually he'd be celebrating. NO SCHOOL FOR TWO WEEKS!! But he'd miss his friends. And Jason. Him especially.
"We're meeting up during winter break," he reminded his friends for the thousandth time.
"Yes, Valdez, we know," Reyna sighed.
"More than once!"
"¿Solo quieres verlo?" Reyna nodded to Jason.
"I wish I had've taken Spanish class," Will muttered.

To see him? Reyna had asked. Leo just glared at her. She smirked back.
"Anyway, I have to go, Nyssa will be waiting. See you all when we meet up! And happy Christmas! See ya on Christmas, Pipes!"

Jason must've listened to his suggestion, because he stepped forward and hugged Leo unexpectedly. Leo's heart definitely skipped a beat. He hugged Jason back, though it only happened for a second.
"Merry Christmas."
Leo's reply was something between 'thank you' 'mhm' and 'you too'.

As soon as they seen everyone was staring at them, Jason proceeded to hug every one of his friends, which was hilarious to watch. Especially when Nico ran away from him, shouting something about no hugs. Hazel looked like she was about to die with laughter, before winking at Leo.

He smiled at Jason before walking to his sister, trying not to slip on the ice.

———

Word Count: 1232

———

A/N: yoo finally updated. Anyway, school's over for me this Wednesday so I might update more, though that's unlikely because it's me. Hope you're all doing well!! ❤️