JASON'S BIRTHDAY

[REYNA AVILA RAMIREZ-ARELLANO]

They went to bed early the first night, because they were 'tired'. The real reason was because it was a certain someone's birthday the next day.

She went around each room that night, telling everyone to get up. The only problem was Nico. She didn't want to wake Jason, so she'd told Nico to get up in middle of the night that day. She knocked on the last door, Hazel and Rachel's room.

"What?" Rachel asked, opening the door with paint all over her hands and face. "Oh! Reyna!"
"Come on," Hazel sighed, also being covered in paint. "This better not be some lover's meet-up at midnight."
"Of course not," Rachel said. "Wait- it isn't, right."
"No," Reyna narrowed her eyes. "What are you two doing."
"Painting," Hazel grinned.
"Cause you sent us to bed at half ten," Rachel nodded.
"Why did Piper put the art girls together?" Reyna muttered to herself. "Anyway, we're decorating for Jason's birthday, so come on."

[NICO DI ANGELO]

He wasn't asleep by midnight, but thankfully Jason was. The only reason Nico knew that was because Jason Grace would not stop snoring. It was annoying. Nico got out of bed and walked over to the door, about to open it, but typically the snoring stopped. Leo said Jason was a heavy sleeper- clearly not.

"What are you doing?" Jason whispered.
"I'm uh-" Nico paused. "Bathroom."
"Please tell me you aren't sneaking out to see Will."
"No! I hate Will."
"That is the worst lie ever-"
"Fine. You heard nothing and saw nothing."
"I'm using this as blackmail against you."
"Shut up and sleep," Nico left the room.

"About time," Reyna whispered. "Now come on, we have decorating to do."

[HAZEL LEVESQUE]

She made a cake with Frank while Grover made vegan friendly cupcakes for him, Shel and anyone else who wanted some. Percy and Will were filling balloons with helium, but ended up inhaling half of it themselves, so they kept singing in high pitched voices.

"You're going to wake Jason up," Nico said to Will.
"Don't worry," Leo said. "That guy sleeps like a brick."
"He woke up when I was leaving the room."
"What?" Percy asked in a very high pitched annoying voice. "He's gonna know-"
"I made an excuse, don't worry. You'd probably be able to hear him snore from here-"
"He snores?" Leo asked.
"Are you sure you aren't the one who sleeps like a brick, Valdez?"

"How about you all just shut up?" Annabeth suggested.
"Good idea," Rachel nodded. "Now, someone help me with these banners."

[JASON GRACE]

"Ohhh Jason-" Leo pulled his eyelids opened.
"LEO- what the fuck are you doing?!"
"Happy birthday!"
"Thanks? What time is it?"
"Birthday time!"
Jason smiled. "I think you've been more excited about my birthday than I have."
"Yep," Leo kissed him. "Now come on."

Jason got out of bed, Nico still not being back for some reason and left the room holding Leo's hand.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JASON!" Everyone shouted suddenly.
There was streamers, balloons, banners and confetti everywhere.
"What?" Was all Jason managed to say.
"They said happy birthday," Leo nodded.
"No I heard- I just- wow. Wow. Thank you. Nico is that why you-"
"Yes," Nico glared at him. "Now don't say anything else."
Jason just smiled. "Okayyy-"
"Anyway," Piper grinned. "Who wants cake for breakfast?"

• • •

They went to the beach early, planning on spending the whole day there. There was no one else near them, so it was like they had the whole beach to himself. Jason kept subconsciously checking his phone. Thalia texted him. A few people from school texted him- Drew, Gwen, Dakota, Travis, Sherman, Damien and some others. Reyna's mom texted him. Sally Jackson texted him. Annabeth's cousin, Magnus, and a few of his friends texted him. Even his mom texted him. Every year on his birthday, his dad would text him. There was no text this year. Even with all of the birthday wishes- more than he'd ever received before- he couldn't help but feel slightly empty.